Weight Checking Experience

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:04
ThreadID: 132670 Views:5145 Replies:14 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody towing a caravan actually been pulled up for a weight check, rego/safety inspection?
If so were and when?
How much leeway do they give IE is it none at all or if the rigs a little over a caution?
If so how much will they let pass before they lose their sense of humour?
Patrolster
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:29

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:29
Look here

Have a look on there its been beaten to death endlessly

Very few actual anecdotes from anyone who has been done Plenty from sisters boyfriends cousin.

However its probably not a good idea insurance wise or for the longevity of your vehicle to exceed legal weights
AnswerID: 601104

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:00

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:00
Yes, the only ones I've heard of are that someone's second cousin twice removed had of a friend who got checked.

No-one in our club of 80 odd vans has been pulled over for a weight check yet! And we travel all over Oz.
FollowupID: 870428

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:27

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:27
Notso, it looks like you have not followed the subject too closely. There have been quite a few second hand postings from close friends and relatives on forums. I suggest you look a bit further with your search function in several forums. It's not so long back that there was a link in most of the forums with pictures of it happening in East Gippsland. Yes there have been a lot of those that have described but there enough reliable second hand ones to confirm that checking has occurred.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870504

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:42

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:42
" Nomadic Navara posted:
Notso, it looks like you have not followed the subject too closely. There have been quite a few second hand postings from close friends and relatives on forums. I suggest you look a bit further with your search function in several forums. It's not so long back that there was a link in most of the forums with pictures of it happening in East Gippsland. Yes there have been a lot of those that have described but there enough reliable second hand ones to confirm that checking has occurred."

Mate, the question was what are our experiences. I suggest that you post your experiences where they are meant to be posted and not try to criticise others for making comments as requested.

They would certainly be more welcome elsewhere!
FollowupID: 870507

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:12

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:12
They will give a slight amount of leeway. Once they have weighed it and it is overweight, they are obligated to have you rectify it, by either redistribution of weight or the reduction of weight before you can travel on.

If you are grossly over weight then an infringement notice may be issued and this can also include points on your licence.

I haven't seen anyone pinged but some would have been. There was a post on here about a caravan club and the DMT doing weighing in Longreach to educate owners on caravan/ vehicle weights, it was also stated that there would be no penalties for those found to have broken the law.

AnswerID: 601108

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 09:29

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 09:29
Yes ,there were no "penalties" issued on the actual day ,but a lot of warnings given and a police and Dept of Transport 'sting' scheduled for the following week was cancelled due to of all things the likelihood of rain , ,, also be very aware that Illfracombe has a new beaut very small portable speed camera , 50kmh or you will get a nice photo and the fine /points in the mail within 14 days ...
FollowupID: 870453

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:20

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:20
We live near Canberra, and have been told, the Rta were pulling over people towing, be it a van, boat or normal trailer, all getting the once over. This was the other side of Braidwood, on top of the Clyde mountain.. Was a year or two ago, but haven't heard anything recent.. Certain times of the year, it's just bumper to bumper, with Canberrans heading down the coast, personally, it's great around town those times of year, place is empty.. Ha.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601109

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:56
I recall that as well.

But have never actually witnessed one.

Phil
FollowupID: 870429

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:36

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:36
In well over 10 years of towing firstly a campervan then caravans all across the country we were never pulled up for any of these reasons, or met anyone who had been.
Maybe it will change as there do seem to be more frequent accidents involving caravans however maybe it is just because there seem to be increasing numbers of them on the road each year.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601111

Reply By: Geoffr17 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:11
Done to death alright.

But keep bringing up this myth and they might start doing these checks.

Let sleeping dog's lye.
AnswerID: 601113

Reply By: tony_j - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:39
I wasn't towing a caravan, just a 30 tonne trailer (with a 10 tonne prime mover). It was about 10 years ago, and the then RTA (NSW) were also calling in cars with caravans and large trailers (like car trailers etc). Yep, a long time ago I know but the RMS can and do do it. It was on the Pacific Hwy on the North Coast of NSW in town. And YES, I was called in and so were car/caravan combos whilst I was there. Haven't seen it since though.
AnswerID: 601115

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:56

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:56
Never had it done personally over the last 8 years of vanning. The only time I have been told first hand was from a guy who said he had been weighted was maybe 4 or so years ago in 80 Mile Beach CP. He pulled in next door to us with a 20 something foot Kedron. Can't remember the tow vehicle. He had come up via the Gt Northern Hwy and had been stopped just out of Newman. They were pulling in every truck and a few vans. According to him he weighed 30 kg over and just got a warning and sent on his way.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 601117

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:16

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:16
Our esteemed travelling editor Fred Wright from the Caravan and Motorhome mag, reckons they are getting pinged over east, where unsure, can try checking their web
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601119

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:57
Caravans not targeted as they are a very low risk statistically so while you can be weighed, there is not targeting or mass weighing of caravans on the road.

C&M were probably reading this long thread, and about the Cann River photo that was plastered all over Facebook and various other forums last week. Here are the facts - from the "horse’s mouth".

Extracts:

"That's quite funny! As the person, me, who actually took the photos and stood next to the man that did the actual weighing, I have not provided anyone with the results of the weighing or If any tickets were issued. Only hinting that there were some issues with no specifics. Just goes to show how misinformation is spread and urban myths are created."

"I can name 3 occasions where vans have been weighed as part of a planned operation in the recent past in my area. I ran one of them. Non of these operations had given any consideration to revenue during the planning or execution."

Why?

"Evidence/intelligence gathering to identify where we are at and do we have an actual or only a perceived/anecdotal problem."

"Those issues are not prevalent amongst caravaners and so do not demand the same attention and use of very expensive resources."

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870446

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:06

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:06
I would be very surprised if Transport Inspectors, Safety Inspectors (or Police, where they still use them to weigh vehicles) would be interested in weighing cars and caravans.

It would probably only be a couple of highly "conchie" blokes in either Transport, Safety or Police who would start anything like that.

There are a couple of reasons for this. One is, the Transport Inspectors mandate (in W.A., anyway) is for "Heavy Vehicles". The general interpretation is, that this is trucks generally more than 12 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass.

I've run around heavily loaded, overwidth, and dragging a 10 metre (32') tri-axle trailer, all over W.A. and as far East as Adelaide - with 3 tonne and 5 tonne trucks - and I can assure you, I have been regularly waved through random weight checks, and fixed weight-checking weighbridges.

They are just not interested in "small fry". They are particularly interested, when someone is hauling 40 to 120 tonnes, and they are overweight.

The other angle is, you would be weighing 20 cars and caravans an hour on most major highways, during caravanning season.
That's an impossible task, you'd need 50 people and 25 sets of scales!

All the Police will do, is look carefully at anyone who appears to be unroadworthy, driving dangerously (this includes badly-loaded caravans and trailers), has improperly secured items, or is under the influence of something that is affecting their ability to drive.

Many a time, Police will stop all vehicles to do a "licence check". Naturally, this is purely an excuse to check for unregistered or unroadworthy vehicles, felons with outstanding bench warrants, drug-smugglers, and people "under the influence" (of drink or drugs).

If they happen to find a vehicle and caravan/camper/trailer combination that looks seriously overloaded, unbalanced, or otherwise unroadworthy - then yes, you can expect to be given a "working over" - and probably weighed as well.

As far as the authorities specifically targeting overloaded caravans - that is a rare event.
The following webpage shows one of these rare events - and the writer also notes, that it IS a rare event.

It's likely in this photographed case, that statistics were being sought, as to just what percentage of caravans were overloaded - and whether it was sufficiently high enough to pose a danger to other road users.

The Police are hot on statistical figures, and use them to conduct "campaigns", where they see a rise in statistical figures.

Authorities targeting overloaded caravans - VicRoads (unknown area)

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 601120

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:55
The article contains the photo of the weighing at Cann River, and is the incident I referred to in my quotes from "the horse's mouth", that is the Officer who took the photos and was involved in one of three trial events.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870481

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 20:07
There you go, due to factors inherent in a professional drivers life he or she is open to huge fines by being only slightly overloaded ( it only has to be over an axle group in some cases, not over gross ), meet a deadline, and generally travel the same route day in day out. Statically they are a good earner and have been since my grandfather was a novice.

So a caravanner who by nature doesn't travel above 95 kmh, has in most cases a new/near new vehicle and will only hit a speed limit on a overtaking lane has absolutely nothing to worry about.
FollowupID: 870527

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 20:21

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 20:21
Further complicating the equation Greg, many caravans are sold with an ATM below what the build is capable of carrying to meet the market of standard towing vehicles. So if loaded within that margin, they could be considered safe, but are illegal in being overloaded for the plated ATM. On an engineer's assessment they could be replated to the higher load and be legal.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870528

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 00:29

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 00:29
I've never seen it despite it often being spoken about.

In my view it is something that should be self regulating in so far be aware of your vehicle and van weights and ensure you are not exceeding the weight limitations of either.

Do this and it won't matter if the authorities do start checking, after all, it is about being safe...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 601121

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 00:40

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 00:40
probably the more relevant and pertinent question is
Has anyone who has had an accident/mishap while towing, then been weighed or measured at the scene?
As that is where the real consequence may occur-loss of insurance cover?
AnswerID: 601122

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 01:51

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 01:51
fisho, not a pertinent or relevant question at all, it may or may not have happened in the past, but I am sure that the insurance companies given a chance will use any means to avoid paying a claim given a opportunity......................

If you are over weight, van or tow tug, your insurance is null and void. The insurance company may claim your over weight van caused the accident and not cover any damages to you or any third parties. It may have happened already, it may not, but trust me it is coming..................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870449

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 02:46

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 02:46
Mmm not sure what to make of your answer?
Not relevant at all?
Ok...
Isn't it the reason we try to stay within guidelines, to avoid an accident?
FollowupID: 870450

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 10:01

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 10:01
fisho, ok, it was late last night when I replied, just re read your post and agree, we need to be legal......
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870455

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:02

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:02
Just 3 weeks ago on a week end NSW barrier command (Broken Hill where I live) Had a road block atCockburn on the SA / NSW border they checked for every thing

drugs driver license and rego drugs and M/V weights the event was very successful and will do this again in a more regular basis they said
AnswerID: 601130

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:40

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:40
One of my traveling buddies was weighed on the beach at Fraser island immediately after disembarking the ferry. He wasn't towing but his truck is very heavy and he carries a NSW GVM upgrade cert.
QLD cop refused to look at the NSW cert stating its only certified in NSW and this is QLD so its irrelevant.
He was defected and had to remove a lot of gear just to get back off the beach.
Lots of legal to and fro and several months later the problem went away.

It does happen.

AnswerID: 601276

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:47

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:47
G'day, a tad more info if possible? Was he registered in NSW or Qld and how did the problem go away? Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870658

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:51

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:51
Registered in NSW with the GVM upgrade.
Lawyers were involved and eventually QLD dismissed it but he had to remove a lot of weight to make it legal in QLD so as to drive home.
FollowupID: 870659

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:00

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:00
As long the GVM is certified and on his registration papers it is legal anywhere in Australia.

The odd thing here is if the police checked the registration details/records it would be showing the GVM it is certified to, there would be no dispute.

Did his registration papers have the correct GVM?

My registration papers (NSW) show the GVM on the vehicle as 3,750kg, not what it was previously, so my point is what arbitrary weight was the policeman putting on your friends vehicle - it should have just been showing the current GVM, and as long as he was under it he would have been legal.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 870660

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:06

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:06
Malcolm, thanks for the quick reply, that is so typical Qld, lol. Glad he got it sorted. I have a GVM upgrade registered in Vic, hope I never get weighed in Qld.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870661

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:17

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:17
All the GVM paperwork was correct and legal. His truck was within the updated ratings.
It simply came down to a local cop refusing to accept the documents as legal in QLD. Took lawyers to fight it so the legal system was behind them. I can't remember what the successful argument was.

I was quite shocked by the refusal to accept NSW docs but in a way it makes sense.
For instance in WA I believe you can legally certify your truck with over 200mm or so of lift but in NSW you can only have 50mm. Just because you carry a WA certificate, should NSW accept it over the local laws???
I think it might be a gray area but providing the vehicle is leaving the state fairly quickly, a blind eye is turned.

I was going through the motions of having my 100 upgraded to 3.7T so as to go to the Cape. I gave up after this occurred as it seemed to be a total waste of money outside of NSW.
FollowupID: 870663

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:33

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:33
Don't be put off by this instance Malcolm. The rules are quite clear, as long as it is certified and recorded on your registration papers it is legal.

I went through this thoroughly before upgrading mine

Remembering the "system" will only record the current GVM it is approved to, so when Inspector Plod checks that is what he sees, in my case 3,750kg.

So I'm not sure what GVM weight they would decide it should be...

If the GVM upgrade is done post initial registration it is done as a modification under your current registration, but legal everywhere in Australia.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870665

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:58

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:58
Excellent. After reading the posts above I feel vindicated in getting a GVM upgrade done, inspected (a nuisance) and approved.

Re QLP police not accepting the NSW papers:
I wonder how we would go. Everything for registration renewal, apart from the GVM upgrade, was done on line. I don't even recall receiving anything in the mail about the registration renewal. Maybe my wife has got them, she looks after me that way. So in my instance, I do not have any "registration papers" as mentioned above but the full GVM upgrade inspection bunch of documents Yes bunch), duly signed and stamped as "Approved" is in the car and of course a new compliance plate fitted to the car.

We are heading to Fraser next month (but whose counting).

Methinks I will go online and see what "registration papers" I can print. I prefer to have a sticker on the windscreen myself.

Phil
FollowupID: 870667

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:12

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:12
Phil,

In NSW we still have a paper rego certificate. It is sent in the post. You can renew on line and you are issued with a receipt number which you are instructed to write in the space provided on the certificate. The certificate is not valid unless the receipt number is recorded on it.

My GVM upgrade was done after first rego and certified on-line at the time with RTA/RMS by the engineer. 6 months later when rego was due the new certificate arrived in the mail with the original GVM on it, but with a note at the bottom saying the vehicle had been modified in accordance with certificate number blah, blah, blah, but didn't show the new GVM.

I queried this with RTA/RMS and was told that the new weight was in the electronic records and was available to anyone doing a rego check, but that if I wanted the new weight reflected on the rego papers I would have to front up to an RMS office and have it manually adjusted.

This I have done. I now carry a copy of both my rego papers and the engineer's certificate in the car.

As a side note, as I understand the rules you are not required to carry your rego papers in any state in Aus, but you ARE required to carry the engineers certificate relevant to any certified mods that have been done.

I don't know if ACT is different in this regard from NSW.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870675

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:31

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:31
Frank

I have confirmed from my lovely wife (she is sitting here) that we have a copy of rego plus GVM and engineers cert etc etc in the car.

Thanks mate

Phil
FollowupID: 870677

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 23:43

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 23:43
I'm with Baz on this.
If the GVM upgrade is approved and registered by the respective state your registered in, then that's the GVM.
No copper can deny the registration and use an arbitrary number that he thinks is right.

Me thinks some coppers are trying to be smarter than they really are.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870697

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:18

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:18
You've missed the fact that the copper did not back down. Fines etc were issued and the vehicle had to lightened before being driven away.
The issue was only dropped after a lot of legal wrangling between my mates Sydney lawyers and the QLD police.
The Police believed they were in the right, not just one over zealous cop.

All the paperwork in the world does stop you being ordered off the road, it simply means you may have legal recourse to cancel things but by then its too late for your trip.
FollowupID: 870698

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:31

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:31
Hi Malcolm

I fully understand the point you are making about being on the roadside and having to lighten the vehicle, but at the end of the day the Queensland Police were proven wrong, and rightly so, they'd be silly to do it again...

A point to bear in mind is that most companies that offer GVM upgrades do it with Federally approved kits, the same kit that I have on my vehicle is available for certification in Queensland...

In any case appreciating you bringing this to our attention.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870699

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:49

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:49
Baz, if the kit is not fitted prior to first registration it is not "Federally Approved" it is only "State Approved", there in lies the problem, plus over zealous local police.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870700

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:19

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:19
This was a post 1st rego upgrade.

Wonder why there is a difference between pre & post?
FollowupID: 870701

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:24

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:24
Malcolm, have no idea why the difference. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870702

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:47

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:47
Sorry John, but I can't see this pre/post claim being true.

GVM as stated on the compliance plate is the GVM. Otherwise, why bother with the new compliance plate that had to be screwed, bolted or riveted to the car's drivers side door frame. That's was where I was told to fit our new one. I asked about under the bonnet and was shown the door frame.

I have never come across something like "as stated on the or first or even original compliance plate".

Phil
FollowupID: 870703

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:12

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:12
John

Just to qualify my comment…

I have a Lovell’s GVM upgrade kit that was fitted post initial registration, this is the same kit that is fitted pre-initial registration and is Federally approved to be fitted under a Secondary Stage of Manufacture approval.

Given mine was fitted post initial registration it is certified as a modification under NSW Registration.

The point I was making is that this is the same kit that could be fitted and approved in Queensland on the same vehicle.

The difference between pre and post initial registration is the paper work, the same kit is fitted.

When it is done pre-registration a secondary stage of manufacture plate is fitted and when it is initially registered it is done with the upgraded GVM the registration can then be changed from State-to- State without any further approval requirement and with the upgraded GVM.

If done post registration it is a modification that has to be certified by the Motor Registry in the State it is registered in and a compliance plate/sticker showing the change in GVM is fitted to the vehicle.

If you want to subsequently re-register the vehicle in another State you would need an approval from the State's Motor Registry approving the modification. The point here is that it would be no problem as it is the same kit that could be fitted in these other States...

I can't add any more on the particular incident mentioned, other than to say it was proven the Queensland Police were incorrect.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870705

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:23
Baz, you are correct in what you say. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870707

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:25

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:25
vkIdx, I was researching the answer for you when Baz posted. What he says is correct. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870708

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:40
I also have a Lovells 3900kg GVM kit fitted, mine was done pre registration and is fitted under the Federal Secondary Manufacturers rules.

Baz again rightly pointed out the facts between pre and post registration.

I have a Federal Compliance plate fitted to my vehicle and it required no engineering sign off, only fitting by a Lovells approved fitter, as all the required engineering was done by Lovells to gain the secondary manufacture compliance.
This compliance stays with the vehicle forever and can be registered in any state with no further engineering so long as the kit components are not changed to non compliant brands.

If you fit a GVM upgrade post rego, it normally needs a new engineers sign off if you want to register it in another state.

In the example described in Qld of the copper requiring unloading etc, if everything was done right, and I was put through that then I would certainly be taking action against Qld police to recover any costs I was exposed too.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870731

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:57

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:57
Instead of my question being lost in the mist of the other threads, I will ask it here. Well there is mist and thick fog here, at -3 degrees!!!!!!

People above have stated that the police did not accept the GVM upgrade papers. I was wondering if they weren't accepted because a new compliance plate showing the latest approved GVM was NOT fitted to the car.

The RTA inspectors here in the ACT made a big issue of having the new compliance plate, that they supplied, duly engraved with the new GVM etc, fitted to the door frame. Did those above also get a new GVM engraved plate or was it just noted in the computer. Note that I had to get the plate engraved and they checked it before it was fitted to the car. They even watched me rivet it to the car.

The police in states, other than where the car is registered, may not have access to all the data and thus not been able to confirm the authenticity of the drivers claim. RTA staff may have access but not the police. Maybe all they get is the basic, car registered yes/no, owner, address and registration date.

Phil
AnswerID: 601304

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:25
Phil, good question, all the GVM increases, body cuts etc I have seen that have been engineered have had the blue compliance plate attached to the fire wall next to the original plate. Maybe in NSW it is not a requirement? Hopefully the OP will reply letting us know if he had a plate or only papers? Cheers. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870716

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:31
This part of the discussion is getting fragmented, but FWIW, I was given a compliance plate showing the engineer's certificate number, the VIN and the new GVM. It is fixed to the door pillar.

That plus carrying rego papers and the certificate is about all anyone can do.

You cannot do anything on the spot about an over-zealous or ill informed policeman or inspector who ignores all that evidence. One can only hope that such people are few and far between.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870717

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33
For post initial registration you will be issued with a Compliance sticker to attach to the engine bay, or on the inside of the driver’s door. I carry the registration papers showing the GVM is consistent with what is on the Compliance sticker and all modification papers. Mine is affixed to the driver’s door.

The key point is to ensure that your registration paper is updated with the new GVM of the vehicle. All (most) police have access to the data base that will give information on the GVM when they access it. In an instance where they can’t access the data base you can show them the compliance sticker/plate along with the accompanying documentation that certifies it, including your current registration papers.

Whilst not doubting the issue the person in this thread faced, it is most unusual.

And whilst there are reports Queensl;and Police are checking recreational vehicle weights, especially in the North, the issue is being over the GVM, it won’t normally be a roadside debate about what the GVM should be if you can produce supporting documentation.

Hope this helps…

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870718

Sponsored Links