Travelling To KARUMBA and BURKETOWN

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 08:30
ThreadID: 132672 Views:3603 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have decided in the next few months to visit Karumba and Burketown on the gulf and have been a bit concerned about which way we should go and the road conditions. We have a Landcruiser and a 17 ft Jayco Caravan...it's not off-road but have towed it around fairly rough reds in vic with care and had no major problems. We would then like to make our way to Katherine on the Savanah way rd? Again not sure about the route we should take given road conditions . Thanks soo much any advice would be appreciated john and sue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Triton man - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 17:44
Hi Johno,

We did the whole Savannah way towing an A'van. Even went on the Gib River Road. Started Cairns to Chillagoe then the Burke Development Road via Durham Downs to Kurumba then Burketowm Booroolola then via Limmen National park towards Roper Bar (went into Loreela Springs then Mataranka, Katherine Kununurra GRR then Derby and Broome. Came home on more dirt via Duncan Road, Buntine & Buchannan Highway.

only minor damage with some aluminium hinges where the van folds and a replacement battery.

New battery is now an AGM that is much better as plates don't rattle out and is more robust on corrugations. Roads are generally corrugated but lowereing tyre pressures all round and not rushing it will see you having a great trip.
AnswerID: 601136

Follow Up By: johno59 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 19:55
Thanks . The the plan is to drive to Normanton and onto Karumba then return via Normanton to Floraville and then up to Burketown. Then from Burketown to Doomadgee, Hels gate roadhouse, and onto Borroloola. Johno

FollowupID: 870467

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 23:27

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 23:27
Hi Triton man what was it like via Durham Downs ,I worked out in the rugged Blue Hills not far from there.Is it possible to get into them any tracks going off into them.I was there in 84 ... Love Chillagoe nice camp ground too! Was there in 2007..
FollowupID: 870483

Follow Up By: Triton man - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:16

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:16
Hi there Jonno and also to Lazylux,

Yes, that is the way we went, via Floraville. This is a T Intersection, we took the right turn to Burketown and free-camped at the Albert River camp spot on the Burketown side of the bridge on the r/h/s.

We also had some concerns but it all turned out fine. Experiment with tyre pressures and varying speed to suit the corrugations. We quite often used the other side of the road for a smoother ride. Spend some time to eliminate dust to a minimum but you will NOT completely eliminate the dust.Have a plan but dont insist on keeping the scedule, dont wreck your Jayco trying to stick to the planned schedule.

Lazylux, This road we enjoyed, my travel notes say we were able to cruise at 80 to 90 as far as a beaut camp spot pretty close to where the road changes from North West to Sout West a few kilometres from Durham Downs. Free camped on a water lily covererd billabong on the Mitchell River.

Second day from Durham Downs was nowwhere near as good as the first day. mainly corrugations as I rembere. Our trip was July 2013 so 3 years ago, road conditions change as we know and at this particular point in time, this section is closed (Chillagoe to Dunbar Station I travelled out to Almaden and Mt. Surprise last weekend and read the big road staus sign. not sure if it said all the way to Karumba or just
Durham Downs as this is the road to Kowanyama as well.

Did not get onto any side tracks, e had enough clicks to do just getting to Broome

Trton Man
FollowupID: 870487

Sponsored Links