Article Comment: ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ

Hi D&M,
I have bought the app for Android and am downloading the maps now. Clearly I haven't run it yet, let alone tested it, but it promises to be a great app.
Just a question on installation, though ...
There didn't seem to be any option to save the maps to external SD - at least I was not offered that option. I would much prefer to have the maps on external SD than fill internal memory with great amounts of read-only data.
Is it possible?
Cheers
Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 15:49

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 15:49
Frank,
Firstly thanks for becoming an ExplorOz Traveller as well as member, we really appreciate it and are sure you will love the app.

The external SD card - Yes. There are a few issues with using these and we are still working on it however the major problem is the performance of large databases on the external SD - they just do not seem to work fast enough. The internal memory on most devices is configured in a totally different way and uses a parallel addressing scheme which makes access so much faster.

Another issue is each vendor Samsung, HTC, Google etc all reference the external SD differently in the Android SDK and have moved away from the OS specific standards. This is less of a problem than performance but does make it more difficult to deal with.

We are working towards being able to use the external storage however until performance and access issues are better handled we opted to stick with Internal at this stage and this is the main reason be broke up the 144K download into 3 parts to reduce the storage footprint.

Great question thanks, think I will add this to the FAQ.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601160

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:14

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:14
Thanks for that, was about to ask the same question.
OOOppps! 144k pack East just crashed during download. Error: Unable to insert records. {code:6}
All the "download" buttons just tuned orange as well.
Any suggestions
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 870512

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:00

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:00
Fred,

I think you are talking with Michelle at the moment (or emailing at least). Not seen that one come up before. Can you tell us the type of device and android version please - android version will be on the APP's about page.

There are some devices that report incorrect Internal Storage (some China knock offs generally). Not saying this is the problem but have a look at the Android Settings - Storage function and see what it reports for Internal/External and possible SD?

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870516

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:21

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:21
Thanks David.

Fred and I are different people, I was talking to Michelle when Fred posted his comment. It seems we have the same problem. Michelle has talked me through clearing the database and I'm now trying again.

Shame about the external storage. Hope you can eventually resolve the issues.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870518

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 18:22

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 18:22
Hi Fred, I've just sent you a Member Message.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870521

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 16:18

Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 16:18
This is really a bump message to let people know that the problems in the Android version of the app are fixed.

This app was released on 10 June 2016. Users of some devices, including me on my device, experienced significant stability problems that were not encountered in development. Within 24 hours those issues were fixed and released in V1.7.2 in the early hours of 11 June. Not a bad effort, EO Team!!

I have found V1.7.2 to be 100% stable. If you had difficulties with the release version you would be well advised to update to this version and try it again.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870590

Sponsored Links