Exploroz Traveller app (minor) bug

Just thought I'd mention a minor bug evident in the ipad app .
If I have my location services turned off and I open the app it crashes for example when I select maps.
Sometimes I prefer to peruse maps with location services off so this can be a bit annoying as most other map apps that require location services will quite happily run with it turned off.
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:24

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:24
Yes you need location services turned on as it is primarily a navigation app and is always looking for your current position when the map is opened it shows your current position.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601193

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:30

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:30
Michelle
Ok ,thanks for that.
Can I request that the app be optimised for the iPad Pro to enable us to run it in split screen mode,
thanks
FollowupID: 870543

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:31

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:31
Hi Wicket, can you explain your desired use of this feature some more please to help us better understand your request. What would you want to view in the other screen during active live navigation? We assumed you would want to view the map in full screen?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870544

Reply By: BingC - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:33

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 16:33
You're lucky. I can't get the app to do anything useful except show the help screens. When I select to see a map it crashes, and I can't see any of the place or trek lists. And I've got location services turned on! I'm having this problem on both an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3 and am now using version 1.6.15 of the app on the iPhone.
AnswerID: 601195

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 17:53

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 17:53
Hi BingC, have you reported this to us via the ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ page so that we can assist you directly?
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 870546

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:33

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:33
Hello Bing - the iOS permission settings are such that for the app to access your location you need to have accepted the option to “allow app to access your location when it’s not running”. Although the app does not actually do this, this setting is still required for it to work correctly.

I believe that David is making a modification to get around this in another update as we can't rely on everyone knowing that this is a quirk in the iOS permissions and how are people to know.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870550

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:23

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:23
Wicket,

I have added support for no location service to the pending 1.7.2 release. As the app was really designed to be a navigator style system I setup the system heavily to use your current position as the start point for all distance and direction calculations for everything, including the ability to show maps or places on the screen. So to resolve this what we have done is set a default position being Alice Springs (not really but close enough to the centre of the country). So when you run the app without location services it will just use Alice Springs as the point you are currently at. This will allow you to use the system with Location Services disabled.

Whilst writing this I guess one minor update to this could be to keep the last recorded position as your default location when you next boot regardless of location service status. I will make it work like that I think - which is the best of all worlds.

This next release is waiting in hold at the moment to allow some testing to occur on Android devices as I have made a major change on this platform due to some issues with two Samsung models. It should not be too far away.

Thanks for the feedback.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601200

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:59

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 18:59
Ok, thanks David.
Another suggestion, would it be possible in some future update to give the user the ability to create their own routes like we can with Oziexplorer ie just a straight line between waypoints?
FollowupID: 870556

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 19:05

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 19:05
Wicket,

Not meant to talk about too many futures but yes this is going to happen and of course once you have a straight line you can press create directions and it will produce the driving directions and show the route on the map. If you have not tried this as yet simply add a place near or far from you as the next location - the map will show an orange dashed line to that place open the Nav panel on the Nav map and press create directions and presto...

These will sit in the Trek system as private treks like private places but be saved navigation routes. But I am not meant to talk about the future too much apparently so I did not tell you, ok.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870557

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 20:32

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 20:32
I hope you also don't tell I will need an Internet connection to do this as I do now, all looks promising though. Keep up the good work.
FollowupID: 870560

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:19
Great, latest update allows us to have location services off, all working well.
FollowupID: 870734

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:55
Gee that went out quickly after approval. Took 2 days to approve however.

Great glad it is working for you now and sorry I just missed that completely as a function, we just assumed people would have it enabled. I do understand your reasoning and once I thought about it could see we needed it.

Keep you eye on the ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ page as I am publishing the version updates information including the unreleased updates - ie: stuff we are working on.

If you are willing we would really appreciate a store review in the App Store to assist out market reach outside of the ExplorOz direct audience.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870736

Sponsored Links