Cape York route

G'day all : Doing a trip includinglawn hill to tip Cape York .
So would anyone have suggestions on best route ? poi etc
via Croydon > Georgetown etc or head more north via police lagoon ridge .
cheers
PS hope my grammar is okay ....lol
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 06:35

Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 06:35
I'm fairly familiar with the Gulf area, but police creek bridge has me, you can go via Georgetown or take the Burke Development Road, from there you have three choices, turn left onto the Dumdruff Road and on through Koolatah/Dixie and come out at Musgrave Roadhouse or carry on the BDR and before Chilligoe take the Fairveiw track,which will bring you out at Laura or then continue through to Chilligoe and up across the Tablelands along the Mulligan Hwy through Atherton and Mareeba and on to lakeland downs then to Laura. The last is more of a scenic route due mainly to the Tablelands. Just thought also you can do the Tablelands and about 15klms south of Palmer River Roadhouse turn in at Whites Creek Road and go through the old gold mining town of Maytown, then north on the Old Coach Road through Jowalbinna and come out at Laura.
AnswerID: 601216

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 07:36

Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 07:36
Thanks Tony ~BDR was what I refered to I think ? ~police ck Ridge ~ taken from oztopo map ~ where you turn left .after heading north.
So the BDR is that an interesting route , much to see & do . Re the tablelands a better way for someone who 1st time .
Cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 870568

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 07:57

Saturday, Jun 11, 2016 at 07:57
We just came back from that whole area, each has its own attractions, it really depends on what you like to see, the Georgetown route has the Undarra Lave Tubes, Dixie/Koolatah is more like your outback station type of scenery with a couple of water crossings. Google Maytown cos its an awesome bit of history with a lot of the old stampers etc still in place, my opinion would be to do the tablelands and Maytown on the way up and then on the way back turn off just after Musgrave and come through the Dixie/Koolatah track to get the best of both worlds. You probably should also youtube the Old Coach Road, its probably the toughest track on the Cape, and yes the area called the Cape does run down to Maytown. Don't hesitate to ask me anymore questions, only to happy to be of assistance.
AnswerID: 601218

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 09:25

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 09:25
thanks again Tony : Can you tell me do you need any permits for this part of the country ?
I Have looked to the youtube clips for this area & old coach rd .....

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 870621

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 09:56

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 09:56
Only if you intend to stay in the national parks, eg Twin Falls etc. The Jardine ferry is about $90 return and allows you to camp on Injunoo land excepting any commercial areas such as Seisia camp ground, Punsand and Loyalty Beach. You cannot camp at Maytown itself but you can at dogleg creek which you cross if coming into Maytown from Whites Creek road (southern end).
You will have to book online through the national parks website(can be a bit of a nightmare), if wanting to stay in them, apart from Lakefield, you can camp just outside the others and do a run in, there is plenty of camping spots along the OTT. Enjoy its a great adventure and due to the traffic volume now, you wont be alone, plenty of people will give you a hand at the creek crossings.
AnswerID: 601249

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 11:11

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 11:11
So no Aboriginal land permits required or any of the roads & common camp ground ?
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 870631

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:14

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:14
Thats right, your ferry receipt is your permit to camp on Injunoo lands, that is basically all the land north of the Jardine, if you can get a hema Cape York map, that will give you a good insight as there are some private roads depending on where you go, but if its your first time the best is to go up the OTT and come back down the PDR. Arukun, Pomparuw and lockhart River will require permits from the local land council, but if you feel the need to go to those places, it can be arranged in Weipa. Try and get time to do the 2 island tour over to Thursday and Horn Islands, its well worth it. When you get to Bamaga or Seisia, you have got a day trip to the tip and Somerset, also worth a trip out to Muttee Heads and if you want, the mouth of the Jardine. It may pay to get a aftermarket fuel filter system as lately there has been reports of diesel with a bit of water in it up the Cape.
AnswerID: 601256

Sponsored Links