Caravan Park Clubs

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 17:26
ThreadID: 132722 Views:2293 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip around Australia - our last time was in 1999, so looking forward to it. I'm just trying to decide whether to join Top Parks (previously Top Tourist), Big 4 and/or Family Parks. We have been members of all three in the past but I'm still not sure that it's worth it. Looking at their directories, the first two in particular seem to be all the higher priced parks and in most places there are parks that are cheaper, and have all the necessary facilities (if you're not needing to keep children amused). It seems to me that you pay more just for appearances. We are generally happy if there is a bit of shade, power, hot showers and flush toilets. So, I wonder what others think and what their experience is.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 18:34

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 18:34
We did a 6 month trip back in 2006 and again last year. In 2006 we did join some of the "clubs" but last year didn't join any.

What we did was use Wikicamps and do a bit of research the night before to find the next days stop. Overall we stayed in some very good parks but actually were able to do it cheaper than in 2006. We don't need the bouncy castles etc and went by the positive feedback from those that had recently stayed and reported back and were also able to pick parks on pricing as well.

Also made it easy to navigate to the particular park by punching in the GPS co-ordinates for the park. Helps to have a second choice just in case you don't like the looks when you get there (this happened a couple of times for us).

Watch out for major roads, train line and even airports as all these can create noise.
AnswerID: 601260

Reply By: eaglefree - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 23:36

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 23:36
We are over half way around oz with our trip.
For powered sites we flatly refused anything over $45 a night. And that is common in the tropical locations. We don't care what their justification is.

As soon as we drove south of Carnarvon prices dropped to around $39. No wonder people seek out free camps.

We are on a shoestring budget by the way.

We found some parks offer 3 days for the cost of 2 $90. Making 3 nights like at Denham WA $30 a night more realistic. If we didnt take that offer we'd go back out of town to one if the three freebies 10kms away. We were also hindered by having a pet.

We found many freebies great to stay at. Spread ant powder around your wheels though. And get there early say 1pm for the best spots.

We used number camp 7 book.
AnswerID: 601270

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 23:51

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 23:51
Caravan Parks that belong to a chain or group have to cover additional costs of membership and meeting certain standards, so they can be expected to be dearer than a comparative non member park. However as you travel, you will find most towns do not have a chain member park, and the local family owned or council owned caravan parks are cheaper than you would pay for the branded parks anyway. We have never taken out a membership, and have rarely if ever been in a caravan park that was a group or chain member.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601271

Reply By: outback epicurean - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 17:40

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 17:40
hi
We have found the chain parks too expensive for what they offer for older travellers. Seems a much better alternative is to use park's in smaller nearby towns Recently options were to stay in Claire at chain park or Auburn in small local park. Latter option $12/night cheaper, quieter and much more friendly plus walk into town.
AnswerID: 601289

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 18:24

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 18:24
We don't use the discount members parks for these reasons, but we will stay at them if we see fit or need them.

Reasons are for us. Too expensive most of the time.
Boom gates, intense dislike.
Many not up to the price standard. I won't name or bag them.
Squeezed in.
Poor maintenance.

We will support any park that offers good facilities ,which includes show grounds and town/free and semi free parks, that are there to help the local community.
(we also will always buy something in this situation)

Wiki camps is your friend, if you disregard some of the reviews that don't coincide with the normal reviews, then that is how the park will be. I know of one park that the owners have been to hell and back. A couple came in and didn't get out of the vehicle, then left. She then bagged the hell out of them on wikicamps, even though she hadn't seen any of their amenities or sites.

AnswerID: 601291

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 19:35

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 19:35
Most towns away from the east coast tourist tracks will not even have a club park. Generally anyway these club parks are overpriced even with the so called discount compared to others. The chain parks are like supermarkets - they put up the price today so they can take a "discount" off tomorrow and still do very well! Unless you are planning long stays in one of these parks where there is little other choice in a town the membership is not worthwhile. Lynne
AnswerID: 601294

Sponsored Links