EOTrackme

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:08
ThreadID: 132738 Views:1766 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hello there : can someone clear this up for me pls

when using EOTrackme , out of internet coverage /offline .
I have an android tablet ~asus ~ with built in GPS , so can my friend see where i am in real time . OR not till it has internet coverage ?
Note tablet ~ no sim card wifi only ~ tether .

cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:34

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:34
All apps, including EOTrackme will need some form of 2 way connection to allow 2 devices to communicate their position to each other. Usually that will be the internet.

If you both have a sim card then that will be when BOTH of you have coverage for real time locating. If either of you only have wifi then you will have to be connected to a hot spot to send or look at a location.

If you both have coverage, there is also free app called life 360 which will show you were the other person's last known position is. That is updated every minute or so when there is coverage and designed for 2 or more people to located each other.

EOTrack me will update your movements when you reconnect to wifi but that could be hours, days or even weeks later.

Devices such as Spot can update your position while not connected to the internet, but the other party needs internet to see your location.

Devices that allow 2 way long distance communication when neither person is connected to the internet include HF radios, HF radios with a GPS option, and Sat phones with or without GPS.

No matter which way you cut it, for 2 way real time locating, you both need some form of 'connected' 2 way communications.
AnswerID: 601303

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:45
Boobook thanks , so i would need internet coverage .

This would not work like a spot device ? & not real time tracking !!

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 870710

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:39
EO track me will work on a device online or offline.

Eg your Samsang device will track your movements internally, but it won't share that tracking information until you reach a connected hotspot or if you have a SIM, phone coverage. When you next connect to the internet, it will send the tracking history from the time that it was first stand alone. So you have the entire track, but only updated to EO after you somehow connect to the internet. That information could be days or weeks old.

EOtrackme also works with Spot, it is connected by a satellite and will update every minute or so regardless of coverage. This will update EOTrack me constantly and someone at home on a PC / phone AND the Internet is looking at EO trackme will know where you were recently.

So if you have a spot device then your friend who is connected to the internet can see where you have been recently. If you just have your tablet then he can't see where you are / or have been till you get the coverage, and that may even be after you get home....

If your friend is also travelling and you need to meet up then you bith need internet access so you can see the EOtrackme website, even if you have SPOT.

As an aside, I also tested it from a HF radio some time ago. David set it up to work with the HF radio club's location tracker. I am not sure if that still works but it did work well a few years ago.
FollowupID: 870720

Sponsored Links