Looking at swags.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:43
ThreadID: 132739 Views:3177 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, I've narrowed it down to 2 brands.Southern Cross swags and Travelander swagit swags. Does anybody have experience with either of these swags. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:19
That was my short list.

I know not exactly what you were asking but...

In the end I went with a Kylkine Swag which looks to be the same as the Travelander.

They are about $50 to $100 less expensive, they have seem to have specials and I wanted a slightly smaller one than Travelander offered because of the space they take when folded.

Kylkine Swags

Not sure about the Swags specifically, but I have read ( but not personally experienced) bad after sales reports on Travelander.

I have nothing but fantastic experience with Kylkine, they gave me a new version of a pole just because I asked for it to match my newer swag. I was prepared to pay but they insisted..
AnswerID: 601307

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:37
Unfortunately I believe "Kulkyne" are no longer around, I may be wrong though.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870726

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:52
Yeah, Kulkyne have gone bust, a few months ago.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870727

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:54
Kulkyne may have been too nice to the point they had to close for giving too good a warranty service. They would still have to pay their own bills to people who were probably not as nice as them. Unfortunate, they had a very good name.
FollowupID: 870728

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:55

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:55
Well...

I was about to say nah, you've got it all wrong. I did notice that the kulkyne web address diverted to Drifters creek but read that is the brand now to support sales wider than Kulkyne.

But then I read this.

Kulkyne closes

That is a real shock to me. Thanks for highlighting it, otherwise I may have found my next purchase going astray.....

I guess they were borrowed to the hilt. They had great products and the range grew enormously over the last 2 years.

Pity, I liked buying from them...

I wonder if they are doing a sneaky 'close Kulkyne then open Drifters Creek the next day' type deal. Hope not for the staff.
FollowupID: 870729

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 17:15

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 17:15
Drifters Creek have been going for a long time.

FollowupID: 870745

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:39
Hi Mattd

We have 2 double swags and both Aussie made.

The first one is still like new and been used all through our great deserts, but was the traditional open swag and has been used for over 20 years, and it was made in Adelaide.

Around 3 years ago we upgraded to a Southern Cross enclosed double, and have to say it is just brilliant, and made over in Victoria. They are not cheap, but the quality is second to none. It is very quick and easy to set up and as much as I loved our original double, this one is the best by far.

What ever you do, make sure it is a quality Aussie made swag with Aussie canvas.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601314

Follow Up By: mattd - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 16:45

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 16:45
Thanks Stephen.
Im a buy once buy right person. Southern cross are great amd I just spoke to Travelander and was told they will be making there swags in house now with NSW canvas.
Will look at both.
FollowupID: 870740

Reply By: Mark W28 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 19:27

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 19:27
hi mattd,
I have a southern cross tent and swag. the tent I purchased back in 1989 and the swag I have had for well over ten years and neither of them has leaked one drop of water in all that time. it was commented in one the other replies that they are expensive but I think you would agree for the length of time I have had them they have been great value for money.
AnswerID: 601322

Reply By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:19
Hi Matt,

I have a Southern Cross Swag and a Burke and Wills. Both single. Southern Cross Swag is great as it has heaps of room inside and is very well made. Can't comment on the Travelander.

I had to bite down hard when buying the Southern Cross as it wasn't cheap but is excellent value for money if that makes sense?

Burke and Wills also fantastic and I have used both travelling extensively. From places as varied as Vic High country (Cold!!) to Cape York and the Kimberley.

Good quality swag of any brand keeps you nice and warm in cold climates and cool in warm climates. Cheaper swags that are made of thinner/lighter material don't seem to have as good thermal properties.

Good luck!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601338

Sponsored Links