Simpson - Madigan Crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:02
ThreadID: 132741 Views:3235 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,

Returned home yesterday after doing a Simpson Crossing to Mt Dare, followed by crossing the Madigan Line on return trip to Birdsville. Left Birdsville on 1st June, and arrived back in Birdsville on 12th.

Travelled over the desert with EO members "eighty matey"(Steve & Narelle) and David and Kerry, and couldn't have asked for better travelling/camping companions. Steve & Narelle left us near Mac Clarke Reserve to get to the Alice for Finke Race commitments. :-(

Took 7 days to get to Mt Dare, then a further 6 days across the Madigan, down the Hay River and back across the QAA Line. Saw a few vehicles on QAA Line but not many after that. Did meet "dad1340" in his FJ Cruiser on our 2nd night out, the night it rained.

Weather varied from rain, cloud, hot(30 deg) to cold(5 deg on Rig Road) and even a bit of blowing sand one night.

Was a great experience, and already planning on going back next year, WITHOUT half the gear we carried this trip. :-). Will post some photos once we've finished unpacking, as well as fuel figures for our 79 series V8 ute.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 14:29
Hi Bob

Sounds like you had a ball out there. How were the track conditions on the Madigan?

Yes that country sure gets in your blood.

Looking forward to some great images.

All the best.

Regards

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601313

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:02
Steady, steady was the name of the game, Stephen. The worst section was probably from Camp 13 to 14. Mostly very slow going, 2nd gear, and speeds usually under 20km/h. However, 2nd gear got plenty of workout from Camp 5 onwards.

Generally quite a bit drier than we'd seen along the Rig and others roads across the Simpson. Country from Dalhousie to Mt Dare and beyond looked great, and plenty of fat cattle. Mozzies in lower Simpson were very accomodating.............and hungry!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870757

Reply By: ian.g - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 16:15

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 16:15
Glad you had a good trip, thought you must have been crook as I hadn't seen any postings, anyhow glad you're back although I suppose you're not. I know just what you're on about regarding carrying too much gear, always seems to happen to us.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 601316

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:06
Ha ha, didn't suffer too many EO withdrawal symptoms, Ian.

Already planning a Canning trip late July/Aug, but was shot down rapidly last night when the Boss declared she was working that month.

Maybe I'll find somewhere closer to home that I can go by myself?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870758

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 20:05
Great country out there have been over the Madigan a couple times and they were both different.
Glad it was enjoyable for you as it was for us.
Would that be David and Kerry Wilson if so we had trip with them a few years back it was a good trip with them also.
Say Hi to them please.
Cheers CJ
PS keep travelling
AnswerID: 601325

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 21:12
Picked it in one, CJ!

They called in about midday, had a cuppa and kept going. Think they might have a go at the Lynd(Hann H'way) on the way home. Yeah, they're good company and pretty easy going. They have a wealth of travelling experience, both in Australia and overseas.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870760

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 21:52
Neglected to mention fuel usage.

2015 Landcruiser 79 ute, with alloy canopy, and enough "stuff" for 2 people for a fortnight in the desert. Used 103.32L from Birdsville to Mt Dare($2.10c/L) and 128.61L from Mt Dare back to Birdsville($1.60c/L). Total of 231.93L for 1418kms. 16.36L/100

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601378

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:01

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:01
G'day Bob.

We're passing through Tennant Creek at the moment.
Adele just helped me fix up my log in details.

We're glad to hear everything went well.
We'll be at Brunette tomorrow sometime. We were hoping to be closer now but we keep getting distracted by rocks and graves and stuff.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of everything on the trip and we'll catch up soon.

I've got to set up camp and get a roast cooking.

Hoo roo,
Steve and Narelle
AnswerID: 601416

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:02
Enjoy the races, but can be cold there sometimes. Don't think they've ever run out of rum, Steve! Know a few people that are there this year.........don't believe everything they tell you.

Still dreaming about the trip......was great to meet and travel together!

Enjoy,
Bob 'n Linda

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870883

Sponsored Links