diesel quality

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:09
ThreadID: 132754 Views:3925 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I've read that BP diesel is the better brand.Is this a fact,or just personal preference?Should I instal a 2nd filter on a brand new colorado?As u can guess,I'm very new to diesel & 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:44
I have been using Caltex/Woolworths Vortex diesel for 8 years without problems I try not to use the bio stuff. Had to use BP on the odd occasion didnt seem to make any difference.
AnswerID: 601340

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 13:29

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 13:29
Ditto. No issues with caltex either. We shy away from BP because when they started going ethanol with all their fuels we gave them a miss because ethanol based fuel was not recommended for our home car. And they put their prices up considerably at the local service station where we had gone for 30+ years. Yep! New owner = higher prices. And the previous owner won't deal with them either. That's good enough for us.

Phil
FollowupID: 870794

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 14:13

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 14:13
Phil - I agree - BP fuels contain ethanol (by their own admission) - their 91 is essentially E10 but they charge the same as 91.

I also have vehicles that don't like ethanol so I also no longer use BP.
FollowupID: 870796

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 23:50

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 23:50
Not sure how petrol is relevant to the post but BP has two 91s - one with and one without ethanol (Regular 91). Perhaps not all servos have the regular 91 unleaded but most on the eastern shores (NSW, Qld) will have "E10" 91 because they are required by law to do so, despite the very much disputed environmental "benefits" of ethanol as a fuel.

Some people, including a friend of mine, like to stick to one brand of diesel for peace of mind. At least then if you get contaminated fuel there's no argument about which company is responsible (assuming you have receipts or a CC purchasing history for evidence). Might not matter if your vehicle insurance covers contaminated fuel anyway.

Some people also believe their vehicles run better on a particular brand of fuel, be it petrol or diesel. Quite possible, but without precise "bench" testing in a garage I'm dubious. Then again I'm skeptical of many anecdotal comments right across the spectrum.

Despite that believe me (lol) when I tell you my V6 Jackaroo (in its current state of tune) absolutely HATES ethanol. How do I know? Well I get code warnings and the engine runs like it has lost a cylinder under certain conditions. Took me two instances before I realised what the issue was (slow learner).

I fill up from any of the major petrol retailers purely for (possibly misplaced) confidence reasons. If I was driving a CRD I'd probably be even more picky.
FollowupID: 870825

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 09:00

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 09:00
We use both but I was really thinking diesel. When we have the choice we will not use BP. That's for either car. But when we don't we will use what ever is handy.

Phil
FollowupID: 870840

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:23

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:23
I expect you have been suckered by the so called "discount vouchers"!
Watch them disappear once they have crippled their opposition, they will do the fuel industry what they did to the food industry.
I refuse to use any Shell or Caltex that displays an affiliation with either supermarket.
I realise that it affects them not one iota, but it makes me feel better, watch the price of fuel plummet if we all did it!

FollowupID: 870876

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 18:51

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 18:51
Discount vouchers have been around for 30 years so not likely disappear any time soon.
FollowupID: 870881

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 18:53

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 18:53
Wrong. The place that we fill up is right next to a Cosco servo. It's always cheaper, even without any voucher. When on the road I don't care who, but still shy away from BP.

Phil
FollowupID: 870882

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 13:08

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 13:08
All diesel provided by the refineries is the same - it is just the various additives that the different brands use that makes the differences.

The issue is when it is delivered to the stations and stored - storage protocols and maintenance of tanks are the issue.

I wouldnt worry about a second filter but would consider a watch catch system like "water Watch" to catch any water that is in the fuel.

Garry
AnswerID: 601341

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 14:22

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 14:22
I'd agree about the integrity of fuel storage being more important than the brand.Well patronised outlets, especially by heavy transport, usually signifies clean, "fresh" diesel.

Be a bit hawkey about fuel from flood prone sites. No guarantee there's not some residual moisture left after any recent flooding so.

I always remember the old Caterpillar slogan: "Buy clean fuel - Keep it clean"

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870797

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 16:21
Gday
I would just keep an eye on your water filter as there is water in every tank,vehicle and service station. Over night the fuel cools and sucks in atmosphere , and as fuel is sold, then they fill the tank and all the condensation runs to the bottom of the tank, and so on it goes . If the filter at the bowser is serviced, you wont have a problem. If the filter on your car is serviced you wont have a problem .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601349

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 17:48
Servos that order their fuel early before they run low are the best. That is why high turn over heavy transport refuelling stations are good. The vendors get fuel in early before that run low so there are many thousands of litres still in the tank, this means the water isn't disturbed when they are filled and sits on the bottom.

The worst ones for water are above ground tanks as can get a lot of condensation due to temp changes, but this can be easily managed by drain of valves, again it will be how caring the servo is.

Bp and Caltex are the main ones investing in fuel technology for common rail engines with the sprinkles they mix in, the others will be also coming on board, I believe shell is and probably IOR and Puma will. I don't know much about Mogas as to their fuel technology. Caltex are testing a new fuel for heavies and it will be available this year I believe, but I think it will only be available on high volume pumps at truck stops, it may filter through to servos later.

A second filter definitely won't go astray. The FM100 Stanadyne filter with water alarm is not a bad unit, just get good advise on filter micron medium and fuel flow for your engine.

AnswerID: 601354

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 21:05
I have a Pajero and know for a fact that I get about 10% better fuel economy if I use Caltex Vortex. Never thought this would be the case but after 20,000klms of careful evaluation that is the result. I run an auxillary filter to protect the crd engine. Cheap insurance really. Many members on the Pajero forum also run a 2nd fuel filter on their pajeros, tritons, challengers etc. My egr is eliminated and even after 5000klms my engine oil is very clean.
AnswerID: 601374

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 06:33

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 06:33
You don't say what you intend to do with your truck.

If you are going bush then you often do not have the luxury of choosing suppliers. You buy whatever is available when you need it.
In Sydney I use whatever diesel is cheapest.as I come across it. Never noticed any performance difference in our 90 or 100 series.

A secondary fuel filter will often have a water filter built in. I would not head bush without one as I have had crap fuel in the past. In my case the OEM filter is some $70 whereas the pre filter is only $20. Much happier tossing a couple of pre filters whilst the crap works its way out.

A previous poster stated that all diesel comes from the same source in Oz. Not so!
Top of Cape York import directly from Singapore or Malaysia and are not part of the central buying system you get in the city's. I'm sure other areas close to alternative sources would do the same.
AnswerID: 601383

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:54

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:54
If you want advice on brand and source of diesel fuel I suggest you have a yarn to a long-haul owner driver. Mind, you will get a short answer and no point in questioning it further. Those blokes are economical on words and don't care for debates! But they ought to know what they are talking about when they are consuming thousands of litres per week into mega-buck rigs.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601398

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:47

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:47
The big difference is not so much in fuel usage, but how much less maintenance is needed on common rail truck engines "Injectors, pumps and heads", as fuel usage is very close between the brands.

BP and Caltex are running neck and neck at the moment regarding the new engine requirements.

Guess this is blunt enough.
FollowupID: 870877

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:37

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:37
The best diesel comes from the newest servos with the cleanest tanks, that have no rust pinholes, and that have the latest methods of tank protection to stop impurities from getting in!

I noticed the other day, when I passed a couple of big fuel tanks on trucks, heading into a Perth suburb, that the tanks were fibreglass.
This would be a big step forward in eliminating a lot of the fuel problems we encounter - which are often related to corrosion, as well as water infiltration.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 601422

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 07:34

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 07:34
Alan as you can see it is a well debated topic

The bottom line is that the new technology common rail diesels must have clean fuel or damage will be done and it can be expensive
Your standard OEM filter does a fine job of keeping debris out but water goes straight through them
Ther best insurance to safeguard an issue is to fit a water detection alarm, some have filters in them as well which can't be a bad thing to have and what I chose to do
The critical aspect is the water detection and an alarm with it to notify you of a problem

As far as fuel brands goes, BP ultimate and Caltex Vortex are the two names that come up being people's favourites much more than any other, I favor those brands mainly because they have newer and appear to be well maintained servos but I can't say I notice any benefit apart from that

Bottom line is to take whatever steps you think will give you clean fuel

Enjoy your new vehicle
AnswerID: 601436

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 15:11

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 15:11
Depends on where you are. BP Ultimate Diesel is only available in WA, this is not to be confused with other BP Ultimate products. To my knowledge this special diesel has not made it outside of WA, certainly not East Coast to my knowledge. Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel is the best product sold elsewhere IMO. Higher cetane rating, cleaning agent and anti-foaming agent etc. Rough guide based on my research which was up to date around 12 months ago. LOL
AnswerID: 601464

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 15:43

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 15:43
BP Ultimate Diesel has been in NSW and Victoria for some time, at least a year in NSW. It has been a bit hard to find but of late they have had a big push and it is now quite common.
FollowupID: 870941

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 19:35

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 19:35
We filled up with BP UD two yrs ago at Tweed Heads NSW, I asked the woman the difference between UD and ordinary diesel, she said bettr economy and cleans the engine, rather dubious claims

after we got home, did the figures, going up Shell @ 6.5 klms per 100

coming back BP UD @ 5.5 klms per 100

As you said not many servo's sell it here, Katoomba, Tweed Heads so far

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 870966

Reply By: Member - kyle46 - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 21:05

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 21:05
1 Caltex
2 bp
shell if you are stuck and need fuel.
I have a work shell card, regularly get bad fuel