Blogs and missing words

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 13:14
ThreadID: 132767 Views:2725 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys n Gals at the risk of sounding very dumb why when I try to read a blog are the words missing on the right hand side of the pictures ? I assume it is something I have done or need to do so that I get the full picture and text ? The adds appear to cover the text?
is it me and how do I fix it ?

Peter...
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 14:35

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 14:35
Peter I've raised this with M&D previously and I agree it's a real pain in the preverbal. My home computers are fine but my work one is hopeless and from what I can see there is no difference to them.

I used to enjoy reading the Blogs during my lunch break, don't bother anymore because of this persistent problem

cheers
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601407

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:56

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:56
Same as you Dunc, mentioned the problem but no response.
Used to enjoy reading the Blogs but haven't for quite some time as it is impossible to follow the story.

Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 870890

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 22:43

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 22:43
I trust you are both well...

I might add, I enjoy writing blogs, but do tend to find the EO system a little cumbersome and difficult to format in a cohesive way, so have been less inclined recently.

I've raised a couple of times and understand EO will have competing priorities, but I think blogs should get more attention as reader stories are (could be) the heart and soul of what is generally a great offering from EO.

Blogs are generally far more interesting than some of the waffle that goes on in the forum, that is for sure.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870895

Reply By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 16:07

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 16:07
Hi Peter,

I have the same problem, on work and home computers. If there is a fix I would like to know about it too.

Cheers

Howard
AnswerID: 601414

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:20

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 17:20
Hi Peter,
I also suffer this problem on my computer. It does not happen on all blogs but seems to be worst on blogs with more, or larger pictures than those with few pictures. It's very annoying trying to guess missing words. I hope some good comes as a result of this thread.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 601417

Reply By: gerard m2 - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:14

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 19:14
Same problem here and it's pretty annoying
AnswerID: 601420

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 20:28

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 20:28
Hi Peter
Like everyone else here, it is just so annoying. Even my latest Blog has the same issue and I have tried countless things to fix it, but nothing seems to fix the problem.

They only way around it from what I can see that if you have 2 images side by side, then you have a very good chance that the end result will be a complete waste of time.

It was never a problem until there were major changes in the layout of blogs and since then, it has turned to just sh..........

If we all make enough noise, our squeaky wheels might get some action.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601428

Follow Up By: pmacks - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:56

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:56
Thank you Stephen

I always find your blogs to be very interesting and very informative, the current one however is just impossible to read and this is not your fault and I feel for you having gone to the trouble of contributing
FollowupID: 870912

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 23:03

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 23:03
Hi Pmacks

Thanks for the reply and it is a real pitty that the blogs turn out the way they do. I know when I have checked my own blogs out at work they are totally hopeless.

It seems that as hard as we try to fix them, it only seems to make them worse.

Let's hope David has read this great forum post and can do something about it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870985

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:15

Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:15
Hi Stephen, On my PC running windows 10 your blogs look pretty good. Must be something to do with what platform people are using. But the back button is a PITA.
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871006

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:29

Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:29
Hi Val

Hope you and John are in good health and getting out and about. I use a Mac and it is not too bad, but not like they were before all the major upgrades.

At work on XP they are all totally lots in a jumble of letters, photos all over the place and even words embedded into photos, which looks just rubbish, considering the countless hours members spens trying to make their blogs look good.

Like that has been pointed out by many members, blogs are a very important tool for members on planning a trip and sharing with others their experiences. To me if the blog experience is to be ongoing, there needs to be a very serious overhaul to get more poeple writing them again.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Take care and all the best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871008

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 12:20

Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 12:20
Hi Stephen,

Yes we are keeping well, just had a while down at Mallacoota but slumming it in a nice cozy apartment.

I do agree with your comments about the "blog experience". There don't seem to be so many people writing blogs now, but I haven't been monitoring hit rates so dont know how the usage rate is going. As Bob Y said, now that the blog box is no longer on the forum page its possibly "out of sight, out of mind" which would be a real pity.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871011

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 23:04

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 23:04
As an avid reader, and contributor of blogs I do find the format quite cumbersome and difficult to present it in a way that makes it interesting for the reader whilst being easy enough to incentivise one to take the time to write something.

I have raised on a number of occasions and I understand EO will have competing priorities for time and funding. But blogs should be the heart and soul of a site like this.

Real life experiences of people travelling this great country of ours, it is great to read of others and encourages me to contribute.

One of my "beefs" is that it is difficult to format in a way that flows well between text and images. It takes a lot of work by a contributor to get to something cohesive.

I like to see the story and accompanying photographs presented like you would expect in a travel magazine, big and bold to draw the reader in.

But I suspect this is what leads to some of the text wrapping that is being highlighted.

Many of the blogs I go to read are far too disjointed as to make it near impossible to follow - the presentation can be off-putting, and this isn't necessarily the fault of the author, but simply the ability to easily format.

Another problem I find is that when you go to edit something the text looses all paragraphing and takes time to correct.

I do use Wordpress.com for my personal blog (thelandy.com) and find it is easy and simple to use and format. And without doubt they have money and resources to throw at it to make it that way.

I don't necessarily look for EO to have the same, but there is room for improvement and hopefully if forthcoming we might see a greater contribution from members which will give us more material to read during our lunch time!

Hopefully this will (again) raise awareness of the problem - as I say, real life stories and contributions from members are one of the things that draws me to EO...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 601432

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 23:14

Thursday, Jun 16, 2016 at 23:14
Well stated Baz

Cheers and let's hope it's gets those wheels in motion.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870896

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 08:06

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 08:06
Hi Baz & Stephen,
I think it's time EO took this a bit more serious. In the past it would seem to me that less readers had this problem. I think it is time to band together & try & be heard. I too enjoy the real life stories contributed by others. I have considered doing a blog myself but being not at all ITsavy & the complex system have found it beyond my capabilities.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 870906

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 06:21

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 06:21
I have had a few reads of other peoples blogs and also checked my own and don't have any problems with text missing, or photos...not sure why though.
I am using a laptop and Windows 10..haven't checked on my phone.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601434

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 07:50

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 07:50
I have had much pleasure reading & following your blogs in the past but of late are unable to get the whole story. Where there are three photos side by side the script at the right hand side of them is not readable. We will just have to try & keep up pressure on EO to rectify the situation.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 870904

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:06
I have just spent a while on my PC looking through numerous blogs by different members. I have not noticed any missing words, or adds obscuring text. However there are many blogs where the wrapping of text around photos leaves a LOT to be desired, especially when single words or phrases are isolated from the rest of the text - so easy to miss unless reading very carefully. This is particularly so in older blogs posted before the new blog system was introduced.

Like others, we have been regular blog writers and readers in the past, but the new system has taken the edge off that. My particular gripe is the way that line spaces between paragraphs (that make reading large chunks of text soo much easier) disappear either when pasting your prepared text into the blog box, or when editing.

Neither do I like the way the comments and especially follow ups are presented - the old system where they were all visible at the end of the blog was so much better and accessible. And, at least in some cases the back button takes you back a couple of steps instead of just one. None of these are in themselves major issues but they add up to major annoyances, that detract from pleasurable reading.

And my final real dislike is how our older blogs that were carefully set up so they looked reasonably OK are now a scrambled mess of text and photos that look terrible.
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601438

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:21

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:21
Hi Val

I find the line spacing issue extremely frustrating, especially if you go to edit later.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 870909

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:43

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:43
Hi John and Val,
I also enjoy your blogs. They may well seem ok on your computer but I suffer from the same problem as others when viewed on my computer. I realise this is not your fault. I do hope we can get to the bottom of this.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 870911

Reply By: pmacks - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:59

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 09:59
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply would be nice if exploroz took the time to fix it as it appears I am not the only one with the issue

peter
AnswerID: 601445

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 21:08

Friday, Jun 17, 2016 at 21:08
...and I thought it was just me!

Robyn :)
AnswerID: 601486

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 08:11

Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 08:11
The missing words in blogs hasn't really affected me because I wouldn't have read more than 3 or 4 blogs since the "new blog" thingy was removed from top right hand corner of the forum index. My loss of course, but it's a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Hope the issue gets sorted quickly, as I know a lot of you put much time 'n effort into your blogs.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601497

Sponsored Links