trip to pormpuraaw

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 19:24
ThreadID: 13278 Views:1755 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday All,Has anyone been to Pormpuraaw on the Edward River latley.I and SWITBO are going up at the end of june.Is the fishing as good as I have heard and the crocs plentiful.The ball and chain reckons she is sitting in the bottom of the boat and fishing from there.I also hear that there are alcho restrictions.
seeya Locallaw
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bear - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 19:46

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 19:46
locallow

We went through last year about Aug. The place was like a war zone. All the locals werebleep, garbage was everywhere. The other family with us all agreed to keep going and we stayed that night on the river bed of the Mitchell.

The reason for not staying was that with 5 young girls we did not feel safe. A white fella we spoke to at the airstrip said that is was a couple of days after the Gov cheque day and that the place ended up like Hell. He always went and locked at the Airstrip during this binge period. He also started that we were lucky that we did not get bottles thrown at the vehicles as we went through town. There is a local office that you purchase a permit from but this was closed!!

The funny thing was that even the local coppers had taken off for a weeks fishing.
If you must go in early so that you have time to leave if required.

Apart from that the drive South through Kowanyama, Dunbar Station and down to Karumba was beautiful Gulf country with heaps of wildlife and fat stock. Worth the drive.

AnswerID: 60793

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:32

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:32
a friend of mine worked up there during the dry season for the local community council for 2 seasons, a few years ago. from what he said the description above is a good one. the only thing keeping the community going is the beer kitchen. it operates at a huge profit whilst all the other enterprises are making loses, such as cattle station, croc farming etc.

unfortunately there is a huge grog problem.
AnswerID: 60981

Sponsored Links