Crystal 80 ch uhf radio

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 03:01
ThreadID: 132794 Views:2874 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning every one.

looking at purchasing a Crystal 80 ch UHF radio SKU ME 22117 for $189 saving $100 they say plus $150 for fitting (im not confident of doing this my self) which includes a 65cm whip antenna that is only sold through Auto Barn.Does any one know any thing about these?

Also whats the difference in antenna's?

Ive been told that the Crystal brand is Auto Barn's own brand

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 04:49

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 04:49
Michael, never heard of the brand, it maybe very good, or it could be a very poor performer!! Others on here may have used the brand and will be better able to report on performance and reliability. I would stick with one of the well known brands, GME, Uniden or Icom. As for aerial, GME or ZCG etc, you will pay more for the well known brands, but performance and reliability are what you pay the extra money for. As for fitting, use a mob that are fitting them all the time and know what they are doing and that use the better antenna cable and correct power setup.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601542

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 09:03

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 09:03
I fully agree with John except for the Uniden, GME is a really good performer for you and the listener. I say that about the listener because if the incoming signal is poor makes you think your radio is not receiving very good where in fact it is the transmitters radio that is crap. Icom is also good but a technical for some users.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601552

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 15:08

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 15:08
Unless you can get a first hand recommendation on the Crystal, might pay to spend more and get recognised quality and reliability (could be cheaper in the long run too :-). In my view, GME, Uniden and Icom are all very safe bets (I have all 3 makes). As mentioned the Icom's are pro class and quite complex in their configs....others are much easier for 'learners' to start off with. As for antennas.....they are just as important as the radio itself.....a 'less than ideal' antenna will drag down even the best radio.....best to take pro advice on which antenna suits your chosen radio best (and for your intended use too).
AnswerID: 601585

Reply By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 20:10

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 20:10
I have a cyrstal 5w handheld that i bought from prestigecom.com.au for $150.

Havent had any problems with it. It is a bit more fiddly then a main stream one though. Also came with an extrnal aerial connector.

Cheers
Wizzer
AnswerID: 601606

Sponsored Links