Roadworks - NW Coastal Hwy

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 13:08
ThreadID: 132804 Views:2297 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We will be touring through the Pilbara beginning next week. Planning to go up via the inland route and returned via the coastal route. Taking in Paraburdoo, Tom Price Karajini, Millstream, Karratha, Point Samson Cossack etc etc and then returning via NW Coastal Highway.

I have been talking to a guy who has just returned via the NW Coastal Highway saying there were large patches of roadworks from Karratha through to North Hampton.

Has anyone travelled the route recently who can advise how much road work is actually going on?

Cheer

Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:33

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:33
We came down part of that road in the past fortnight. We had turned inland from Pt Hedland and went through the centre of Karijini then Tom Price, Paraburdoo and back to the NW Coastal Hwy at Nanutarra. Somewhere there we saw a sign stating roadwork's ahead for 200km from memory. We turned off to Exmouth on to the Burkett Rd but there had been stretches of dirt bypass road prepared for works on the Hwy, but not in use at that time. We were up around Exmouth for a week during which time some areas received 50 mm of rain. Prior to leaving to head further South there were notifications that there was a closure on the NW Coastal Hwy from where we had turned off and down to the Minilya to Exmouth Rd junction and this was also on the WA Main Roads web site. Although we went direct down past Coral Bay to Minilya we saw no flooding anywhere but at a Rest Area soon afterwards we did hear the story that there was, or had been, a truck bogged on a section of the Hwy bypass dirt that was the cause of the closure but we can't personally verify that. Keep in mind that this region has rain forecast over the next week.
AnswerID: 601591

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 17:54

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 17:54
Thanks for the reply Phil.

The guy I was speaking to came through in the last week so it looks like the bypasses you saw are now in use.I had heard of heavy vehicles getting bogged and slowing things down to a crawl. We will be towing a heavy rig so I'm not keen on digging.

We actually lived in Paraburdoo for a number of years so we are pretty aware of what the rain will do, hence the post. Fortunately we will be coming back through after the expected rains - it may impact on us in Karajini though.

I have looked at the main road website, but it is missing a fair bit of the info that I have had from yourself and the guy I spoke with. Will keep an eye on it thigh in case they update it.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 871107

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 20:44

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 20:44
I hope the WA Main Roads web site improves as at the same time that they were declaring the NW Coastal Hwy closed they were also saying that Learmonth to Exmouth was subject to flooding. This was confusing to people up there as there had been no rain for a few days and when we drove South and plenty of dry cars coming in to Exmouth, with that warning still on their web site, there was no water on the road and only small pools off to the side.
AnswerID: 601607

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 23:43
Interesting, it's happened again.
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Pages/Alerts.aspx
Rain is quite widespread at the moment.
AnswerID: 601719

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 09:15

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 09:15
Yes ?????

Quite a bit deeper inland too. We have friends who have a station at Cue and they are currently flooded in and don't look like getting out for up to a fortnight if the weather doesn't warm up to dry the roads.

Looks like we will go up and down the inland road. But things could get better over the next month.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 871248

Sponsored Links