Anne Beadell Highway options

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 13:40
ThreadID: 132818 Views:3787 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Had planned to travel the Anne Beadell from East to West this August. However the exclusion times for the corridor area is from 14th to the 22rd August and covers the time we were heading there so starting at Coober Pedy is now out.

Holidays are locked in so will need a plan B.

Have read here that the road from west of Emu is the better travelling anyway so can anyone suggest the best way to get to here (Emu) and start the Anne from here.

Keen on the Kingoonya to Maralinga along the Trans Access Road but reports on whether this is open to the public is varied

We are heading from Brisbane and have around 16 days to get from Brisbane to Boulder.

Any help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 14:21

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 14:21
Hi BE

If all else fails, the next quickest way to the Anne Beadell is a lap along the black top until Nullarbor Roadhouse and then head north from there to Cook and then up to Voakes Hill Corner.

There are some interesting tracks north of Nullarbor Roadhouse and I'd need be and you want to see Emu, you can always backtrack from Voakes Hill Corner, or even just head west from there. And interesting sidetrack that not many travellers do is the track to the actual Voakes Hill, which is around 10 km west of Voakes Hill Corner.

It's great country all through that area and just make sure you have enough fuel and ring Ilkurlka to make sure they have petrol for you. If you need their phone number, just let me know.

Enjoy the Great Victoria Desert, It is such a very special place with many specials sites to see along the way.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601639

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:16

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:16
The main road from the Eyre Highway to Cook is pretty ordinary...but north west from Nullarbor Roadhouse via Knowles Cave is a great drive and gives a real feel for the Nullarbor.

North of Cook it is similar until you get to the Mallee.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 871172

Follow Up By: Member - BE - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:07

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:07
Thanks for the follow up Stephen and Peter

Like the side trip around the Hill suggestion and also Knowles Cave looks well worth looking at

thanks again

Brynley
FollowupID: 871184

Follow Up By: ian - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 00:21

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 00:21
you will need to get a permit for this route
FollowupID: 871244

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:46

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:46
Hi BE,

The currently listed WPA exclusion period is 14-27 August 2016. However the WPA Coordination Office often cancel or change these published times close to the event so it is worth keeping a watch on them.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601644

Reply By: Member - BE - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:02

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:02
Thanks Alan

I will keep my eyes on the web site

regards

Brynley
AnswerID: 601655

Reply By: Tezza4567 - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:21

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:21
We just traveled west to east (July 16) from Laverton to Maralinga via Volkes hill Corner and Lake Dey Dey road (Past Oak Valley Community).Then Watson to Nullarbor roadhouse
The roads were generally in good condition, Lake Dey Dey was fantastic though you will need a permit from Maralinga to travel. Can i suggest you consider a tour of Maralinga, Robin Matthews provides a very interesting tour and is worth while doing.
Have also traveled the Kingoonya to Ooldea road a few times over the last couple of years and though "Yes"it is closed from Malbooma through to Haig, We had no issues.
AnswerID: 602325

Sponsored Links