Webber Q Tunnel Boot Storage

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 21:38
ThreadID: 132835 Views:8951 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm seeking some advice on how people have gone about storing their Weber BBQ in their vans! We have a Jayco expanda outback with next to no spare room on our draw bar and we don't want to store it inside the van. This leaves us with the tunnel boot, I'd love to mount it on a slide in the boot and want to know how others have achieved this (pics would be great!).

I'm toying with the idea of installing a bigger tunnel boot door which the bbq would comfortably fit in with the lid on, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Derm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Witi Repartee - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:23

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:23
Sell it and buy a Zeigler and Brown. It will fit in your tunnel boot. You can boil water and vegies on it...cook with the lid up or down....and the biggest benefit is you are not a member of the Webber cult...lol
AnswerID: 601746

Reply By: outback epicurean - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:57

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:57
Sgree with Z&B option. Easier to store, quicker to heat andcook, cleaner and no cult following to worry about!
AnswerID: 601752

Reply By: Dermottj - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 13:32
Ok, you clearly both love your Z&B and that's your call.Mine is the Weber and how I store it, not what alternatives there are to the Weber, clearly I've passed that stage.
AnswerID: 601755

Follow Up By: noggins - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 19:03

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 19:03
If you take the pins out that hold the lid it will usually fit into half the space as before

Ron

x weber owner
FollowupID: 871301

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 21:27

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 21:27
I'm with Ron

My trailer is a different beast, but I still have to fit my Webber Baby Q into a tiny space.

Remove the "R" clips and pin and put back into the body. Easy to put the bottom half away and then the top. I also have some spare clips and pins just in case, but have never needed them.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 871309

Reply By: wholehog - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 20:46

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 20:46
keep the Weber, buy a van with a decent boot. Maybe if van manufacturers actually elevated the bed off the floor, we would have more usable boots ot tunnel boots like Bushtrackers have.
AnswerID: 601758

Reply By: Member - Witi Repartee - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 20:48

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 20:48
Agreed. It would be relatively simple to make or adapt user friendly pins to remove the lid each time you wanted to pack it away. I looked at this and assessed it.. . but it also meant securely storing the lid some how....so as you are aware I took another more convenient option.
AnswerID: 601759

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 22:44

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 22:44
We have a baby q in our tunnel boot...Not a Bushtracker caravan either..LOL...
The opening we had made was 400mm clearance (high)..slides in no problem...with a bit of room to grab the handles to slide it out
If you are finding it a little heavy; remove the grill plate/ plates and store them in some hard card board, next to/ in another part of the tunnel boot.
Not a big effort to do. easier than removing the lid.
We have a weber q carry bag..but a cheapie works well too.(Cheapie is shown in the pics below.
The fabric handles on the top of the bag, make it easy to handle.
We just put the drip tray in a plastic bag to keep it tidy and clean in the bag (no smells either).
Then put it back in the bag where it usually lives under the q
Because the light weight canvas bag is waterproof, no smells escape.
We picked it up at a C&C show in Adelaide..made by Hall's canvas in Adelaide
Fortunately we have a front boot too, which we can store the weber rolling cart.
Fitting a slide would take up too much room and height in the boot.
If you find it too difficult to fit in your tunnel boot..the q will not smell once in the bag..as I said..just put the drip tray it in a small plastic bag to seal it off too.Don't chuck it away after every use..just roughly clean it with paper towel.
We keep ours in an open plastic tub in the back of our Landcruiser wagon when we go travelling without the caravan. No smells
Cheers
Robyn

AnswerID: 601765

Sponsored Links