Hinterland day only drives "behind" Hervey Bay - Not Fraser

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:04
ThreadID: 132844 Views:3162 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are soon off to Fraser for a holiday with a few day to do some scenic stuff in the forrests and NPs behind Hervey Bay.

Yes I started looking at the treks etc but found it quite cumbersome as I don't remember the area and have no idea what trek is where without opening each and every one just to read it and go back and start looking again. This is NOT a criticism of the Treks etc function. Okay David?? I just don't know where all the itty bitty places and references are.

So move on Phil.

Any suggestions?

4dw or 2wd but not interested in anything challenging this trip. Love the bush and would like to see some of those great QLD waterfalls. No long or steep walks - I can't for very long (crook).

The car is capable. We are capable. But the drives must be out and back to Hervey Bay. We are doing a little Glamping in an up market suit at an upmarket resort in Hervey Bay so we need to come back each night.Well it's about bloody time and we deserve it so leave me alone!! Okay (smiling).

Phil (maybe next year)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:05

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:05
Hit the Bruce at Torbanlea, Phil, up to Childers, stop for coffee, then across to Biggenden, check out Mt Walsh N/P, onto Ban Ban Springs, up through Gayndah, Eidsvold to Monto, east from near there through Mt Perry, and hit the Bruce just north of Gin Gin.

For a shorter drive, when you hit Biggenden, turn back through Broowena, back to Maryborough. There is Fairlies Knob & Wongi N/Parks to check on this route back to the Bruce.

Burrum Heads can be accessed by a road that turns north at Eli Waters shopping centre. Don't think it's too bad up there if you want to get a bit of salt water on your feet. The Boss's sister lives up there, not a bad area.

Enjoy your break,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601786

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:08

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:08
One day drive may be west to Biggenden then onto Mount Perry then through the Booldoomba Tunnel (old railway tunnel you can drive through) back to Gin Gin and then back down the highway to Maryborough

Alan
AnswerID: 601787

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 14:24

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 14:24
Thanks Bob and Alan.

Looks those two drives will cover two days out of three. I think we may just spend the third wandering along the Esplanade at Hervey Bay. There should be a song like "Under the Esplanade".

Excellent just what the doctor ordered.

Phil

AnswerID: 601791

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 19:26

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 19:26
Seem to recall you prefer a cuppa rather than a coffee, Phil? Worth stopping at the bakeries in either Childers, Gin Gin or both, for something to go with the tea.

Childers is one of my favourite towns, with its tree lined Main Street, the Bruce Highway, and lots of small shops and other interesting venues. Not so keen on Gin Gin, but the bakery is very good. Getting hungry again just thinking about it. :-)
Enjoy,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871332

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 20:47

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 20:47
I think that I will make one now.

Thanks Bob
FollowupID: 871335

Reply By: Jeffrey B7 - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 16:35

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 16:35
Phil, a good drive with a bit of history would be from Maryborough over theMary River to the Cooloola Road. And all the little villages on the way to Tin Can Bay.

Next Raibow Beach And Inskip Point.

Back to Gympie and north to Gunalda then west to Dickabram Bridge.

Toilets there and some history on the bridge.

Then back towards Gunalda and take the Theebine road to the old pub.

Next stop Tiaro, Maryborough, Hervey bay. Take a full day.

All clear on Google Earth.

Have fun Haji-Baba
AnswerID: 601796

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 17:48

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 17:48
Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for the idea. We are mainly after the scenery things. I don't mind a bit of history but mainly the bush.

Definitely going down to Tin Can bay. I was there many times with the Army. I hope the fish and chips are still the best. I also spent many weekends on Teewah Beach and especially at Noosa surfing so don't need to head south. Was planning of heading home that way after Fraser.

The old pub may be worth a drop in as well.

That loop of yours looks okay We shall see. We could then head south after the pub. We have to be in Surfers on the night we leave Fraser so the time may be short to see all your place.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 871326

Reply By: Jeffrey B7 - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 19:07

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 19:07
Phil,

Google Dickabram Bridge.

Quite story there about a workman who went missing.

Never seen again.

A very sorry story without a conclusive ending????????????

Haji-Baba
AnswerID: 601802

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 20:49

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 20:49
Will do mate

That's a nice bridge. I would like one for the trains if I ever get the space to build another layout.

Thanks

FollowupID: 871336

Sponsored Links