Remember the days, a valve grind ,set of rings , big end bearings ,?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 20:05
ThreadID: 132853 Views:3359 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
And all was good until next time!

Makes it hard when trying to look after grand kids and their jalopys, the modern trend just chuck it and replace is ok!! ...Depends who's paying!!...LOL.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 20:45

Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 20:45
Wish I still had my 1989 model FJ62.. With the 3F motor, was so good, so we'll looked after, I had it for 18 years or so, sold it in just about immaculate condition, cheap to my eldest... Between him and his brother, was a heap after 5 years... Just drove it into the ground...
He now has a Nissan pulsar, 2005 model, in great condition, got the dirty with it, sometimes just won't start, couldn't figure it out.. Said to him to try the original key.. Starts every time now, the after market key was what the problem was... He was ready to turf it.... The imobalizer wasn't picking up the key... Guess if something goes wrong these days, the price to fix it can be more than the vehicle is worth... Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601813

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:26
Thanks ODog,...I see you have my drift!, funny enough its a 05 pulsar that's got me with a dose of the chats with the grandkids a donation that's starting to go pear shape..lol

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 871362

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:53

Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:53
Usually the pulsars are pretty good, it is a nice car to drive, if it won't start, try a different key, I've heard the after market keys aren't real good, that's why I told him to use the original one, no trouble since... Been six months and not a problem... I actually organised this pulsar for him, so after 3 months when he started having trouble with it.. Of course, it was my fault for buying him a peice of you know what... What's that saying.. Dammed if ya do... Dammed if you don't... Ha..Good luck with it Axle.. Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 871365

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 09:21

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 09:21
One son had a Pulsar. Excellent car. Got it 2nd hand and never hiccupped in years. He now has a 100 series and a Mazda RX8 - the twin turbo one.

Can't do anything to the Mazda and won't touch the diesel.

Phil
FollowupID: 871371

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:06

Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:06
And a set of retreads Axle.........
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601814

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 25, 2016 at 21:29
Retreads are to expensive Alan!!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 871363

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 00:24

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 00:24
Axle,

Yep, I remember those days just like it was yesterday......lol

Being a now happily retired mechanic/diesel fitter the only looking after, vehicular wise, I do, is my 1991 re-engined Cruiser and a 1999 Isuzu 150 truck/ute.

The wife's Rav gets serviced (for now) by the dealer under the capped price agreement.

Most kids do as you have said, assuming it is an old bunky, it stops, take off the plates, get out the mobile and call for someone to come and get them.

Just another disposable item.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 601819

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 08:43

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 08:43
Good morning Axle.

Yeah, & one of the most common breakdowns was when the contact points gap had closed due to worn rubbing block. Easily fixed, out with the screw driver, open them up a bit, set them by eye & away you went. Usually took longer to find the screw driver than fix the problem.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 601823

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 09:32

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 09:32
When bored I would just go to the local garage and take the head off give it a clean (it was a polished port etc), then set the gaps to the solid lifters and back on the car. Chat to the others hanging around doing pretty much the same to their cars and that was it for Saturday.Well the car had to be ready for the "saturday cruising".

I once rebuilt a Hillman Imp GT cooper motor. WOW did they go. It was the brothers hobby car. Sounded like a sports 1000cc Yamaha coming up the road.

It would take hours just getting all the covering and crap off the motor before you even saw the heads in the Maxima. And then I would be dead if I touched my wife's car. I am not allowed to even wash it. No complaints there. It has been serviced since new by Nissan. Just had the motor rebuilt and the car is like new. One tiny scratch on the left rear passengers door. Pity the TV is analogue - That is a read downer, you know. Fancy having a TV in the car and can't watch television on it. Almost as bad as the chromed oil dips sticks in the Kingswood rusting!. Never!!!

Memories.

Phil
FollowupID: 871372

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:24

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:24
Phil, I would like to introduce my wife to yours & maybe she could teach mine how to wash cars. LOL
Cheers,
FollowupID: 871374

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:40

Sunday, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:40
You need to do as I did with her car, don't do it properly the first time and she will never let you do it again.

It worked (shhhhhh mine's listening in).

Phil
FollowupID: 871375

Reply By: Tony H15 - Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 17:33

Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 17:33
Timing light to adjust the timing , a new set of points and plugs, a set of feeler gauges to set the gaps and a screw driver to set the idle and mixture. Them was the days, simple and uncomplicated. Oh, I forgot, terry toweling seat covers to stop the vinyl burning the crap out of the backs of your legs, adjusting quarter windows to try and get some cool air inside and best of all stopping every half hour on hot days to let the car cool down. Great memories of my XM Falcon, glad I don't have it anymore!
AnswerID: 601882

Sponsored Links