Old Andado and area road conditions

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 17:44
ThreadID: 132874 Views:2737 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone can help me with Current road conditions.
I'm currently in Alice and Were planning on heading down the old Andado, round to Chambers pillar, Back to Finke then into Oodnadatta via somewhere that's not yet decided, perhaps Mt Dare and Dalhousie, although most people I've spoken to say the road into Dalhousie is horrendous at the moment. I have checked the usual sources but I'm after current reviews from people that have been on it in the last week since all the rain.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:08

Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:08
We were at Mt Dare and Dalhousie about 3 weeks ago, and it was a bit damp in places, but there's been more rain since then. Maybe better to ring Mt Dare for a more accurate report. However, it has mentioned in an earlier thread that the new people there have only been there a few weeks, so may not be the full bottle on local conditions.

".....road to Dalhousie is horrendous". Probably is if they have been going the shortcut, and not going through Blood's Creek Bore. We(3 vehicles) went through Bloods rather than the shortcut, and while it was wet in a couple of spots, didn't have all the rocks that the shortcut has.

Not sure if the roads in north of SA are open at the moment?

Old Andado is really worth a look, Old World charm, and a testament to how tough the old timers were.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601894

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:20

Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:20
Bob

I hope that you got a cuppa and scone!!

Phil
FollowupID: 871424

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:24

Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:24
We were really looking forward to that Phil, but the caretaker was nowhere to be seen!

Talking to a couple in the camping ground as well, they hadn't seen him for a day or two. Maybe he went to buy more flour and jam, or maybe a packet of Bushells tea leaves?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871425

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 06:57

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 06:57
We were there a week or two after you Bob, and that caretaker was also absent, down Mt Dare doing some 'stuff'.
What did you think of his trailer hoochie setup !!!
There was a temp caretaker (just another visitor that was flexible to stay a number of weeks FOC, name was Peter) and he was quite a nice fella there with his wife.

Anyway, oetkb . . . keep an eye on that link Peter posted below.
We went in from Kulgera, through Finke, and onto Binns Tk near Andado (the newer station site), while a few of our group came up Binns from Mt Dare.
One towing a camper got bogged. In the dark. Was a mess.

Just be careful, I travelled Mt Dare to Old Andado in April 2014 and it was very wet then, the bypasses at some large sections of mud / road under water were not all that apparent sometimes, even in daylight.
If it's been pretty dry, shold be no issues, but if it's been a little damp, yo might be better to take the main roads to Finke, turn off at New Crown to go east to Old Andado, bypass that section of Binns.
After New Crown, Binns Tk is quite a lot better.
FollowupID: 871428

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:11

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:11
I thought that the "caretaker" role was done by volunteers and they swap around. I have Alice Springs, as the source, in the back of the brain but not positive.

We were lucky with the place. Both times we had perfect autumn weather with lots of dust and dry roads or tracks. Binns track was dry and dusty and a piece of cake. Speaking of cake, the scones and cream were perfect both time. Maybe we should have gone after all with you to let a bit of luck roll off us.

We have booked a resort room (no camoing this time), a charter boat at Hervey Bay for a bit of sport fishing and then the ferry to Fraser. Lets see what all the fuss is about the island. 4 weeks to lift off.

Phil
FollowupID: 871433

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:48
Correct Phil, that is detailed on the Old Andado WEBSITE, in particular this page CARETAKERS

This would be great do do one day after real retirement :)

Phil, have a blast at Fraser etc mate, beaut fishing and the island is neat for a few days driving.
If just going over for a day, we did this some decade ago.
Younger brother was living HB at the time, went over to Kingfisher in his big fastboat, hired troopy for the day and got to see many of the sights, Lake McKenzie, up to Maheno wreck, was awesome fun driving there and pretty clean etc.
FollowupID: 871436

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:13
That's about the idea Les. Upmarket suite at Oceans for 5 days with day trips to the hills and national parks, and of course Fish and Chips at Tin Can Bay. Including some sport fishing with Andrew at Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing. Then staying at Kingfisher Resort on Fraser for three days. Hope to see as much as we can of just the iconic lakes and old timber areas. Been beach driving many time in a latter surfing life so the "sand" part of Fraser is not important. Just the "special" unique historical and scenic places.

Then homewards non stop to arrive the day before the next IV. Non stop going and coming back. Do you wonder I get annoyed when people say to drive slow and stop to smell the roses. I can't - otherwise I would miss the destination. We just open the window as we sail past!!

Wouldn't mind catching up with a local Hervey bay forumite or two for a coffee (I drink tea) but I don't know anyone.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 871441

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:12

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:12
Couple of things Phil.

When in Hervey Bay, there is a great little ice cream shop on the Esplanade, on the corner of Tavistock St. Heaps of flavours!!! Double cones, waffle cones, and singles........Hervey Bay Icecreamery.

Re our Simpson-Madigan trip, you probably would have had plenty of time to catch up to us at Mt Dare, as the planned 3-4 days crossing blew out to 7 days. Maybe next time, Phil?

Enjoy Fraser and the 'Bay,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871450

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:57

Monday, Jun 27, 2016 at 21:57
SA roads are mostly closed at the moment....
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 601897

Reply By: oetkb - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:41

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:41
Thanks for all that information guys. Appreciate it.
AnswerID: 601911

Sponsored Links