Central Arnhem Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 20:21
ThreadID: 132883 Views:2228 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling up to E. Arnhem in August. We have camped previously on a creek (could be Rocky Bottom Creek) but we understand roadworks are taking place there. Does anyone know the status of the road. We want to camp as close to Nhulunbuy as possible as we have the permit run-around to do and it will be Friday when we arrive.
Noels and Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 14:19
You have never been allowed to camp on the road in. Permit was always granted on the proviso that you drove straight thru, stayed on the main track and no grog. Why not organise permits via the phone? Saves a lot of hassles.
AnswerID: 601958

Reply By: Lindsaydi - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:25

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:25
Ihave always found very little hassles getting permits. I also found getting a local permit at Gove easy . Even ALL the workers / residents in Gove have to have a permit Every Year that they are there regardless what they do. When I lived in NT no permits were issued to anyone except Law and Medical and some goods transports. For Arnhem Land that is. BTW I stay well of the road in gravel pits Safety reasons of course
AnswerID: 601975

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 13:30

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 13:30
You do not have to have a permit if you do not go to the areas where permits are required. I had an open permit to travel anywhere in East Arnhem Land. Restricted by work but as work could be 7 days a week it was a great permit. They do not give these out anymore. Travel on the Central Arnhem Hwy is via a permit ..These are easy to get and everyone, except aboriginals, have to get them. Its been 3 years since I left Gove so things may have changed.
FollowupID: 871558

Reply By: Member - Geoff A6 - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 13:34

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 13:34
Where heading through also in August but planned on breaking the journey at Mainoru. I understood this was ok ?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601982

Reply By: noelene/peter b - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 16:47

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 16:47
We have our general permit of course and the alcohol restriction is fine and we need a couple of special permits from Dhimmurru. We are just wondering about camping on the C. A. Rd.
AnswerID: 601990

Sponsored Links