Do you intend to travel through Clare and up through Spalding ?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2016 at 20:31
ThreadID: 132916 Views:3779 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all

Just a word of warning to all fellow travellers that intend to travel through Clare and up to Spalding and further north to the Flinders Ranges.

Over the last four months road works have taken place around 10 kilometres south of Spalding on the main road and go almost all the way north to Spalding. The sections was forecast to be upgrade and finished last week, but for the last 2 months continual rain has turned the section to a real mud pit and it is beyond a joke.

Do as us locals do and any vehicle heading north, take the detour to Andrews just after the old Geralka farm where you only have around 6 kilometres of good solid dirt all weather road, then from Andrews, head north on the bitumen up to Spading that way.

Take care.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jul 04, 2016 at 20:38

Monday, Jul 04, 2016 at 20:38
thanks Stephen heading that way in few weeks :-)
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602092

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 04, 2016 at 22:11

Monday, Jul 04, 2016 at 22:11
Hi Nick,

You can see from the EO Map where the dirt road is, and signposted "Andrews"

When you come out on the Burra - Spalding Road, turn to your left and you are only a few kilometres from Spalding

The local council is getting lots of complaints, and because it is now so wet, they say it will be at least August or September before the contractors will get it finished.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871699

Reply By: MarkHugh - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 10:48
Thanks Stephen,

Very timely information for us!

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 602101

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 14:23
Hi Mark

Glad to be able to help you out. The roadworks are the talk of the district and all locals are keeping well clear of the area.

Another question the locals are asking is why did they start the work at the beginning of the Autumn period when it started to rain then and has not let off since.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871709

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 12:20
Thanks Stephen,

We hope to head up to the Flinders in the not too distant future. Do you know what the season has been like in the Flinders Rangers?

Cheers,
AnswerID: 602103

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 14:19
Hi Allan

It put it in two words..."just unreal"

It has been very wet up there like all parts of South Australia and once the weather fines up and the sun stars to shine, it will bring out the Wildflowers in mass.

Proving it stops raining, we hope to get back to the Flinders for two week around mid September.

Even though we have been there dozens of times, it is one area that we can never get enough of and when you look hard, there are always new places to explore.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871708

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 16:05

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 16:05
Hi Stephen. We expect to be in the Flinders Ranges in early September. Will wild flowers still be in bloom? We will probably come far enough south to again check out Clare wineries so thanks for the heads up on the soggy road.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871713

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 19:07
Hi Kevin

From the many people that I am keeping regular contact with, right through the outback of SA and into the lower NT, they are all reporting the the area is as green as and there are areas where Wildflowers have come out already.

Once they start to get some fine weather and things start to warm up, it only takes a few weeks to transform the outback to a sea of colour. So like many people, I am counting on the rain stopping soon and the colours to come out.

You never know, you may even seem me in the Flinders as well.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871718

Reply By: Life Member - Talawana - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 22:35

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 22:35
Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for this as we are heading up that way next Thursday or Friday next week on our way to Katherine and beyond.

Maybe on the way back in early September we might see a magnificent white Stuart Pea as that is one of my dreams to see one.

Cheers
Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602194

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 23:18

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 23:18
Hi Marion

I hope you have a fantastic trip, and when coming home, Roxby Downs could be the place to see the many coloured varieties of coloured Sturt Deserts Pea.

That is one area that I will be following very carefully, as it was in 2010 when they were last out if full glory there, with so many colour variations to see.

Once again, have a fantastic trip and safe travels.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871797

Sponsored Links