condensation on the inside of THE CARAVAN

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 18:43
ThreadID: 132924 Views:5524 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen of the nomadic kind, Having recently taken delivery of our new van, and have now completed a couple of shakedown runs with it , OSWMBO, and I were wondering, how do you stop condensation in the van of a night time.
In the old 'Roadstar' we never had a problem with condensation, but this new one well let me put it like this the blankets and doonah are definitely wet in the morning and the walls are absolutely soaked with condensation, it is every where on the ceiling the walls, the whole disaster.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 18:47
Have you tried leaving a roof hatch partly open?
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

AnswerID: 602118

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 18:48
An indication of the brand and model as well as construction type may get better replies.
Is it sandwich or the old morante or alloy framed type. Can make a huge difference.
Cant read your profile to see.
The usual reason is lack of ventilation, exactly the same way your car mists up if you sit in it on a cold day with it closed up tight and no ventilation
AnswerID: 602119

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 19:35
Hi Tom,
the new van is an Atlantic Murchison 24ft long,meranti framed with ali cladding on the outer skin, fibre insulation, and built for dirt road travel so she is big and at 2.6 tonne reasonably heavy.
with the top hatches partialy open it should not get this amount of condensation in it of a night time.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871719

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 20:13
I would normally associate condensation with poor insulation.
The surface where the condensation is occurring is colder than the general temperature of other things and the air around it.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 602123

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 20:32

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2016 at 20:32
Have a read on Product review about this brand
AnswerID: 602127

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:43
Too much heavy breathing going on??

As suggested earlier, give it a bit more ventilation. When it's all closed up at night you breath out a lot of moisture along with a bit of moisture from your skin etc. The colder ceiling and walls alows it to condense on the surfaces.Mine also has a meranti frame and insulation but the condensation only appears where the frame is so you get a bit of a cross hatch pattern on the ceiling.
AnswerID: 602138

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 09:07
Spot on Notso,

The first night of our June honeymoon was in a camper trailer at Corryong in the Snowy Mountains. Our exhaled breath condensed on the canvas roof and then rained on us! Next night I set up a blanket as a ceiling...... stopped the rain but the condensed moisture then froze solid on the canvas roof.

Back home I fitted a yacht ventilator at the apex of the roof and never again had trouble even though some heavy breathing continued through the continued ownership of the camper. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871729

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:37
Good morning all,
I had a very interesting visit to one of the caravan yards yesterday, and it would appear that they have left out one of the ventilation scuppers on our van so we are having another one fitted I also learnt about the top hatches that we have on our van and how they operate so hopefully this will solve our problem.
thank you all for your input and heavy breathing facts and condensation.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871735

Reply By: Ozi M - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 20:23
If that does not help and the night is expected to be cold perhaps you could run your AC on "dry" for 30mins before bed time.

If you have been cooking inside because of the cold that may add to the moisture in the air and this van may not be as well insulated as your previous one.
AnswerID: 602159

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 10:49

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 10:49
Good morning Ozi M,
the old van was a roadstar Voyager, it was built in 1995, and she was big at 21ft shower and toilet east west bed, and she was comfortable, and she was our first caravan, to say we were and still are in love with it is an understatement. It has now moved on and the new one is built to what we require, we hope.
The build on the new van is good , but the finishing touches leave a little bit to be desired, this van is built to do dirt road travel, and the insulation is exactly the same as the old van.
we were cooking inside and had the oven going for the roast dinner, that certainly warmed the van up, so much that we never turned the generator on for the reverse cycle aircon for heating, and the van stayed warm until we went to bed, it wasn't until the next morning that we discovered the condensation and when that happened two days in a row that is when I decided to ask the questions. WHY.???
To be honest I never thought to run the aircon on fan mode only, or dry, thank you very much for the information. We shall try it next time
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871770

Sponsored Links