karratha wa

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 23:33
ThreadID: 132934 Views:3713 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Places of interest to see
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 23:48

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2016 at 23:48
The link you gave only takes us to the insert for Places on EO. What are you trying to show us?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602164

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 05:44

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 05:44
The Places link would have been inserted automatically by the forum program, as it does with all key words it recognises.

In any case is the OP asking a question or trying to provide information?
FollowupID: 871764

Reply By: Member - There Yet - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 08:53

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 08:53
Hi NevT,
Point Samson is worth looking around, Cossack historical town, Rebourne historical jail and info centre. Check in at the info centre sometimes they have free excursions that they run for the miners and the public. Plus of course the mining co at Wickham.
Cheers Kerry
AnswerID: 602166

Follow Up By: NevT - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 09:05

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 09:05
Thanks Kerry that's a big help
Cheers
Nev
FollowupID: 871766

Reply By: mike39 - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 09:59

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 09:59
Unfortunately, due to the attitude of local gov., tourism around Karratha is not very encouraged.

However, since the downturn in the mining sector that attitude will need to change if the town is to survive.
We have spoken to shopkeepers and service business owners and there is quite a degree of gloom.

We are presently camped at the 40mile beach where, due to local gov. lobbying, camping is now limited to 28days and the garbage was overflowing when we arrived here a week ago.

We have been travelling to WA for several years and unfortunately Karratha is yet another town which looks best in the rear vision mirror.
Mike
AnswerID: 602167

Follow Up By: NevT - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 10:04

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 10:04
Thanks Mike, will check out the surrounding area's & maybe 40 mile beach.
Cheers Nev
FollowupID: 871767

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 12:59

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 12:59
Nev have you tried to use Places for this information? Go to the listing for Karratha, then open the map and look at the various POI markers shown on the map (zoom in to reveal more detail or click to open clusters). These POIs are a combination of crowd-sourced data from travellers just like you, or are localities, and topographic features.

With a bit of practise, you can use the features on a topographic map to find things of interest such as gorges, river-beds, mountains, caves, trigg points/survey pegs, blaze trees, and more. Sometimes half the adventure is in seeking out these places yourself - targeting a mountain just to see if you can climb it or find a track up it, and to enjoy the view, or explore along a riverbed to find unusual and interesting rocks, or spending time in an area that supports wildlife and just nature spotting.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602169

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 13:06

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 13:06
There are some petroglyphs at Hearsons Cove - on the rocks on the southern side of the bay. This bay is particuarly bountiful of mud crab on a low tide and you can walk all the way out ! Amazing experience. The Burrup Peninsula is always a hive of activity - not sure what access to that you can observe now but in the past you could do a tour of the LNG plant, watch a video etc. Not sure now how much driving you can do around the headland at Wickam but we've done that and found some nice spots. There's a few good little beaches you can swim in, and Point Samson has the best fish and chip restaurant serving daily fresh catches. How's that for starters? Also - somewhere at a roadside stop under a bridge along the highway near town I found some incredible striped rocks that I believe are to be treasured so I took a sample and have it on my table as a momento. (I also have some pebbles from Carrawine Gorge in my fish tank for that matter - shhh! and some coloured desert sands in a bottle from the Simpson desert).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871772

Reply By: GeroBoof - Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 18:39

Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 18:39
the City of Karratha hosts the most prolific aboriginal art (petroglyphs) sites on the planet - Murujuga National Park and Ngurrangga Tours

Tours Available here

Get Out and Get Dirty
Cheers
Chappy
AnswerID: 602226

Follow Up By: NevT - Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 21:28

Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 21:28
Thanks everyone for your replies, heading there tomorrow & will put all of your suggestions to good use.
Cheers
NevT
FollowupID: 871831

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 13:04

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 13:04
Yep. Australia has the oldest art on the planet. Also the oldest hafted axe (Windjana Gorge) and the oldest ground edge axe.
FollowupID: 871845

Sponsored Links