Article Review: ExplorOz Traveller App

My Article Rating: My Rating 3/5

I installed ExplorOz Traveller on my Android tablet. I love using OziExplorer but thought I would look at this new app to see how it compares. So far so good, until I tried to download the EOTopo maps. I ran out of space on my drive. On further reading, I see that I cannot save the maps to my micro SD card. My internal drive is now full & I haven't completed the maps download.
So my next step was to delete some of the maps. The App told me to load the maps through the Data Manager. So I clicked on the Data Manager. I get a pop up that tells me that an internet data connection is required. Yes, I have a wifi connection, but I still have no access to deleting or installing maps.
Where to from here?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 14:32

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 14:32
Hi Laurie, if you now have enough internal storage available to store the maps, perhaps try re-starting the tablet to see if this resolves the problem re: the internet connection message? Please just let me know how you go.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602307

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 14:50

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 14:50
Hi Adele. Thanks for you reply. David & I have been emailing back & forth. The issue I had was that when I deleted the maps, the ExplorOz traveller map did not release its memory of the 4GB of downloaded maps. David got me to go into Advanced settings and manually clear it.
I now have the App reduced back to 107MB (without the maps downloaded).
So your App is fine if I am happy to run it using online maps, but no good for offline maps.
As I mentioned, my tablet only has 11.5GB of memory and currently has 4.59GB of free memory. So when I download the offline maps, I run out of memory.
I run OziExplorer on my tablet & have all my maps stored on an external 64GB micro SD card. This works fine & the maps load fast.
Is there anyway to link the ExplorOz maps I already have loaded on my SD card so I don't have to store them twice?
If not possible, when do you expect the App to allow maps to be stored to the external SD card?
FollowupID: 871883

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:08

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:08
Thanks Laurie, good to hear David was able to assist you with this. Unfortunately the app can't "re-use" the EOTopo 200K maps you already have as they need to be in a special format for app use, and I don't have any dates for when we will be able to utilise maps stored on SD cards. One thing I will mention is that the storage space for the 577k pack is only 0.5GB so you could at least download this one for offline use, also, if you are only travelling in, say, the eastern parts of Australia for a period of time, you could just download the 144K East Pack (1.8GB storage required).

This is one of the reasons we broke the 144K into three parts, so that you would be able to choose only the ones you need in order to cut back on download/storage requirements.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871884

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:25

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:25
Adele, being in a special format is not a problem, but if this is the case, then I can only use the App if the maps can be stored on the external SD card. Storing them on the tablet, uses up far too much space (4GB).
Your idea of only loading the maps you need sounds good in theory, but a pain when travelling outback and moving from one zone to another. It means i have to download the section i want as I travel. This eats right into my monthly download of data, so I don't see this as a solution.
Hopefully David can sort out the storing of maps on the external SD card ASAP, as until it is up and running, I effectively can't use the App. It is frustrating that I have paid for an App which I cannot use effectively. I know it is documented in the FAQ's but I didn't read these before purchase, as I wrongly assumed your App would not be using so much data.
FollowupID: 871887

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 17:14

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 17:14
Hi Laurie,

Unfortunately as documented elsewhere we run into performance issues when the maps are stored on External SD - there is software that we can use to fix this, but it is very expensive and we cannot cover the cost at this stage. I'll address this with David again to see if there is any way we can find the funds to do this.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871889

Sponsored Links