Roof Top Tent - Ponding of Water

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 00:14
ThreadID: 132965 Views:5740 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Here I am on top of Mt Geraldine on the Bullfinch Evanston road about 150ks north of Southern Cross and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug in me roof top tent. Last night rain squals moved through and for most of today which has been the first real test for this tent. The only issue so far is the ponding of water on the roof section above enterance. To prevent this ponding it will require a support to be placed after the tent is opened/erected. This ponding must be an issue for other roof top tents and I'm wondering what you done with yours.

I'm able to do this insitue post thanks to the Windarling Iron ore mine which is nearby.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 06:33

Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 06:33
Rod, good morning, what I did to my RTT was attach two tent poles under the floor that extend out to hold the roof above the entrance, with the support bar the section is tight and no pooling of water. These poles also make the roof section self supporting. I can't get pics at the moment as camper is in shed and I can't get it out. If you have a look at the link you will see where I got the idea from.Drifta ORC About 8.25 to 9.30.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602261

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:01

Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:01
I've had the same issue, but have done nothing about it, other than ensure the bar is in the right position and the straps and guy ropes are tight. It is one of those things that annoys me at the time, but then I pack everything away and do nothing about it when I get home.

What I have seen done is to have a short telescopic pole with a plastic C clip on the ends that will clip around the middle of the spreader for the entrance and then expand it to push/clip against the 1st spreader for the tent roof. It will either eliminate the puddle, or give you 2 much smaller ones.

I think one of the more expensive tent manufactures do this as a standard feature.

Something like one of these:

https://www.outdoorswarehouse.com.au/products/Spreader-Bars-T-Nut-Clip-Both-Ends.html
AnswerID: 602266

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:46

Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:46
Sorry to tell you -- but happy we bought it. No ponding at all in our Hannibal. It has a hoop support that holds the annex roof up. The roof is also a bit higher than most tents, making the angle of the roof a bit steeper, which also helps.

Even snow, which can be heavy when trapped, simply doesn't gather and just runs off when it melts.

I didn't add the annex in this photo but you can see the bulge from the "hoop" in the annex roof. And the whole tent is tight with either tie down ropes or the annex added. It was late and cold and I didn't bother.

The hoop is just like a tent's flexible fibreglass "rib".

Phil

AnswerID: 602268

Sponsored Links