Innamincka in October

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 18:38
ThreadID: 13297 Views:1419 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After a trip to the Cape, Lawn Hill, Mt Isa etc. we are planning to head home via Birdsville and Innamincka. We do not expect to be in this area until October. Does anyone have any comments on the weather then? Should be still try and incorporate this into our itinerary or put it off until the weather is better (worried about the wind at this time)? Any comment would be appreciated.
Lynn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 18:54

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 18:54
I've been there quite a bit, in April, July and September. Never struck it windy (unless a short storm is blowing through). We reckon June to October might be the pick. We usually follow school holidays and we've been caught at April with 36-38 degrees for days on end. After September you run the risk of an early summer I suppose....but going up there is always a gamble...it could be brilliant, a wash-out, or somewhere in between.
AnswerID: 60906

Reply By: Member - Tom (NT) - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 19:13

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 19:13
We were up there in August last year and really couldn't have had better weather it was cool at night but beautiful days mid 20s. Saying that it has been unseasonally COLD up here at the rock the last few weeks. We have had a lot of rain as well so it is looking very green.
Tom
AnswerID: 60908

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 20:18

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 20:18
October would be a good time to go the weather is starting to get warmer and you can make use of the Cooper for swimming - if you force yourself in and not think of Crocs after being north. Fishing good for Yellowbelly. Wind I found the wind to be not so bad then - worse in winter if I can remember my time living at Tibooburra. Go to Innaminka if you are still not tired of dirt corrugated roads after all that time travelling but make sure you go to Coongie lakes.
AnswerID: 60920

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 20:27

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 20:27
Lynn,
We'll be coming back through that way in October after a 4 week trip to the Cape. We're leaving here (SA) a week before the school holidays start (about mid September from memory) and going up thru Innaminka, Longreach and Cairns. If time permits, we'll be coming back thru Birdsville &/or Innaminka around a week after the school holidays finish.
We're more worried about whether the WET will start early and stop us getting to the top. We expect weather (as much as you can expect anything of the weather), to be pretty good around the Corner Country area at that time.
Might see ya on the track.
AnswerID: 60923

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:23

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:23
We'll probably be in Birdsville, then Innamincka around mid October. We're the ones in the white pajero who are towing a dirt road coromal van. I'll keep a lookout.
Lynn
FollowupID: 322551

Reply By: Lynn2 - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:24

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:24
Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.
AnswerID: 60968

Sponsored Links