The Lost City - Cape Crawford and onto Nhulunbuy

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 22:39
ThreadID: 132974 Views:3753 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we are just about to head off on a run from Cairns to Nhulunbuy and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on the most interesting parts of this particular drive, including the Lost City rock formations near Cape Crawford?

I'm also just about to sort out the Arnhem Land permits and Dhimurru permits, so any tips on that front would be appreciated as well.

Cheers in advance
Ben
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 22:44

Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 22:44
Allow time to see Southern Lost City. Locked gate, you will need the key from the ranger station. Well worth the effort.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602291

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:08

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:08
I think you will find it is western lost city through the locked gate. It is really spectacular. Southern lost city is just off the road through the park - no gates. Also worth seeing.

Alan
FollowupID: 871874

Reply By: Cruisevessel - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:10

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:10
Hi Ben we travelled through there 4 weeks ago Cape Crawford to Mataranka towing our 21ft Kedron XC3.
We stayed at Butterfly Springs Campground, Towns River Campground and Tomato Island Campground on the way.
The western Lost City has the locked gate and is well worth the 30km trip in. Just get the code from the rangers at Nathan River Ranger Station.
It's very dry and dusty through that area atm. We did see heaps of buffalo in there. Bufferfly Springs wasn't flowing either but still was ok back then for a swim.
We had the Towns River camp too ourselves and camped right on the rock plateau next too the river.
AnswerID: 602308

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:00

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:00
Thanks all.

Is Bauhinia Spring open to the public? I see one map that says Private Road, but another referencing public spring.

We might duck out to Lorella Springs for a looksy as well.

Is it worth camping at Roper Bar or not really?

It looks more like we might defer the trip to Nhulunbuy till another time, and instead spend more time around the Lost City areas, maybe flicking a lure here and there if we find a spot as well.

Cheers
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602311

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:37

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:37
Hi Ben,

Lorella Springs has helli flights to the lost citys (Southern & Western)...
and the southern is only 40 min drive from the homestead, and the western can also be a day trip (long day).
It also backs onto the Southern Citys and can excess from the property..
Bauhinia Springs is known as poppy pools you will have to ring them and arrange a visit...It has been some years since I heard of anyone going their.

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 871896

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:41

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:41
Roper Bar the crossing on the river is worth looking at. Drive over and turn around on the other side for photos.
There is a camp at the roper bar but Tomatoe Island to the south is much better but very popular (crowded) with fishing types.
Enjoy the area, we thought the whole drive from Cape Crawford to Roper bar very interesting. Port Roper could be given a miss???
Alan
FollowupID: 871897

Follow Up By: Cruisevessel - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 23:22

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 23:22
Ben we didn't bother going to Lorella as we spoken to a few people that had been and said there wasn't much water around and a lot of the rock pools were dry as they have had 2 poor wet seasons in a row.
For $20 each for me and the missus per night just too have a site with no utilties will save our trip for when the park is at its best and go then and spent a week or so.
FollowupID: 871906

Follow Up By: Member - peterdre - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 21:04
Re: Bauhinia Downs and Poppy's Pools:
We visited that site and stayed a night in 2013. There is 29km of station track to the homestead which is run by the local indigenous. A $100 fee is charged to visit the pools and stay per night. It was absolutely fantastic!. Hot pools, cold pools, beautiful horizontal falls, and little evidence of any visitors. The local young kids come and swim late afternoons and again in the mornings. We walked the last 500 meters to the pools then drove in with the camper van in for the night. You really need to assess this last bit before driving it. Most people camp out on the flats. We still remember it as one of the best outback nights ever. Make sure you are up at first light for the golden effects of first light on the rocks.
Pedro
FollowupID: 871921

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:08
In 2007 we arrived at the gate to Southern Lost City. It was closed, but the padlock was open so we drove in, closing the gate behind us.
Half way to the formations we met the ranger coming the other way. He wanted us to leave because he had just set fire to the area, but some fast talking convinced him we would be OK.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 602364

Sponsored Links