TJM or ARB Canopy - need advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1330 Views:12000 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I am about to buy a canopy for the back of my 2002 SR5 Dual Cab Hilux.
I have read several threads both on this forum and others re: canopies but still can't decide. Have looked at Flexiglass, Alpha (like the carryboy), ARB and TJM Tourertop canopies and for various reasons it has come down to the ARB or TJM. Price, style, parts availablity etc etc have been considerations.

Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 canopies and can give me their recommendation? (particularly on a late model dual cab ute, as the styles etc have changed in the last few years)

The ARB is plastic and would be a roof height, and the TJM is fiberglass and would be the high roof (which seems a little lower than the ARB high roof - a consideration for my garage)

I'm getting desperate as we are going away soon and I need to allow a week or so for colour coding of whatever one I go for...

Cheers, CraigC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter Cosh - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00
Craig, I can't offer any direct response to your question, sorry, but I do have experience with plastic and fibreglass motorcycle panniers and the fibreglass ones are a lot easier to repair, which may be aconsideration for you (my 2 cents worth anyway). Cheers.
AnswerID: 4312

Reply By: Alex - Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00
G'day,
I've no experience of any canopies beyond the old canvas ones, but I've got most of my accessories from ARB and have had excellent service and after sales support, so I'd recommend them to anyone. I haven't used TJM at all, so they may be as good, but over the phone they don't seem quite as helpful. Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 4329

Reply By: Phil - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Craig, I have an ARB Canopy on a Triton Dual Cab. It is a high roof one, all the more to go in. You can get the sliding windows or lift up hinged windows. The hinged are good to get at something which is packed up the side. We had the problem that when we stopped at night nearly everything had to come out, and that was via the back door and then all packed away again the next day. A trailer is what we will be taking with us when we can on our next trips. Otherwise the canopy was excellant. Forget what it cost us.Might have been about a 1000 ????

Cheers Phil
AnswerID: 4342

Follow Up By: Craigc - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks guys for your advice...

Cheers,
Craig
FollowupID: 1891

Sponsored Links