Iphone 6 car kit. Help please.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 15:11
ThreadID: 133018 Views:2946 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Just wondering if there are any "tech heads" that can help me with the following.
A few months back I had carcom in Darwin remove my old car kit that I used to use with the old Nokia 6120 and install a new one for the Iphone 6. They also installed a new cable and antenna.
I use the car kit for one reason, to get extended coverage, that it charges the phone is a bonus but this can be done with a cigarette lighter adapter for $2. I don't use a mic set up (troopy, you would never hear it anyway). But just sit it in the cradle and use the phone mic.
My problem. I get no further range with this kit. When down on the Roper a couple of months ago I had to get out of the car to get a signal.
With my previous phone, if I got out of the car and got one bar signal strength I'd probably get 3 bars with it sitting in the cradle.
This was repeated just the other day with reception out of the car (just) but not in the car. I went back to carcom about a month ago and was told as it uses a "capacitive" coupling it doesn't work as well as the old type. Well, OK, but this just doesn't work.
One of the guys came out and we tested it by going into the phone settings and ringing a certain number, you then get a signal strength reading from the nearest tower. Sometimes it was a "little" better in the cradle sometimes not.
He suggested I try this when down at Litchfield, I never got around to it. I figured what's the point of stuffing around to prove that if I dial the tower 20 times and 13 out of those 20 calls the signal is a "FRACTION" stronger big deal.
From my point of view I have wasted my coin, we only use it when we go semi bush. I should have just left the old kit in there (still have the old phone) and pulled the sim card out and put it in the old phone if I really needed to use it. Yeah, I would need some sort of card adapter to fit the micro SD card.
Your thoughts folks?

Thanks

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noah273 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 19:14

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 19:14
Hi Lyndon,
What was the model of car kit that they installed? We use Smoothtalker which make a cradle that is specific to the particular IPhone model that is inserted, this will give us an extra 2 bars with a 6.5db external aerial. There are generic multi- fit cradles where the 'capacitive' coupling do not really match up with the internal aerial in the phone hence the rather poor improvement in performance.
Good luck with this .

Cheers
Bryan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602480

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 22:27

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 22:27
Thanks Bryan

Not sure of the brand but that may be just what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 872090

Follow Up By: Burgo - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 23:00

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 23:00
I too have the Smoothtalker iPhone cradle, I've used them since the iPhone 4 came out, with each new iPhone released.

The cradle has separate leads/connectors for power & antenna, which allow just the cradle to be replaced when a new model iPhone, and then cradle comes out..it is plug & play with the leads plugging into the existing hard wired connectors.

There used to be different versions, some without the antenna lead, and a 12v cig plug instead of hard wiring.

I retained my Nokia car kit which supports Bluetooth, so my iPhone talks to that no problem whilst sitting the Smoothtalker cradle being charged.

Bought mine from THFComms.

cheers
FollowupID: 872123

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 23:25

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 23:25
I don't own a iPhone but drive a vehicle with a Strike Mobile phone kit (click here) installed. This tends to provide2 or 3 extra bars on the phone than when its removed from the holder.

Strike make phone specific holders which fits in with what has been already said.

I am looking at putting one in my vehicle for my Sony phone.
AnswerID: 602484

Reply By: Tim F3 - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 08:23

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 08:23
I have a samsung galaxy phone with a protective case , would i have to remove it from the case to use one of these cradles.
I imagine the case would prevent commection to the antennae..
AnswerID: 602510

Follow Up By: Burgo - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 18:38

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 18:38
Check out the Alpha cradles from Strike.com.au as they have some cradles that work with an Otterbox or Lifeproof case fitted to the phone...any other case and I think you'll be out of luck.
FollowupID: 872139

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 15:08

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 15:08
Lyndon,

yes it depends on the brand of cradle. "Bury" also make cradles with external antenna connectors. I've used this since the iPhone 4. This can connect to an external antenna, or if you are game, an amplifier (available on ebay but may attract a $500,000 fine if you are caught using it).

The number to dial for the "field test" is *3001#12345#*. On the iPhone this will gave an accurate indication of signal strength, plus lots of other data about the tower you are pinging.

Bob
AnswerID: 602524

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 17:22
Gee! I gave that number a whirl Bob...

I couldn't understand any of the info it gave. Surely that must be for Telstra type technicians?

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 872136

Sponsored Links