Just Got Some Snow in Brisbane

Submitted: Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:32
ThreadID: 133027 Views:2854 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Sitting at the intersection of Green Tce and Newmarket Road Windsor, 9:02am on a Monday morning, there's a big low grey cloud making it's way east over that westerlyish eighty-fooftish cutting in the road.
Then some stuff, small little specks, starts drifting down from the sky...
"Drifting" is what caught my attention. I've seen sleet in brisbane before but never tiny swirly drifty ice crystals... Waved my hand thru it and it floated about the place.

It only lasted for about a minute and was not dense. By the time I went around the block to get proof the low grey cloud had passed.
I should put my ski's in the boot just in case ya reckon?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:43

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:43
LC - I dunno about ski's where you are - but you East Coasters can stop sending your freezing air to the NW of W.A., right about now - thanks very much!!

It went down to 9.4C deg in Broome this morning, 6.7C at Curtin, 9.5C at Derby, 6.6C at Fitzroy Crossing (which would mean around 6 deg at the Bungles!), 7.8C in Kununurra, and 8.6C at Wyndham!!

It would have been a pretty chilly night on the ground in a swag anywhere inland in the North, last night!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 602514

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 19:46

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 19:46
Well that is different. I rolled out of there through Windsor around 6 this morning, in shorts, tee shirt and thongs with no air con on and was warm as. It must have turned to rain by the time I got to Ilbilbie cause it was falling pretty freely there.

I thought it had to be cold for snow to reach the ground.

AnswerID: 602531

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 21:46

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 21:46
it has to be the right temp to make snow, 1-3 degrees celcius...
add a wind-shear, low pressure and some warm air and you'll have snow....
If you know the area that big block of units sitting on top of the cutting was providing the shear....

Was totally wierd, I've worked and lived in that area for decades too...
And yeah, wasn;t a particurlarly cold morning....
But yeah, big low grey cloud & little specs floating around....
FollowupID: 872147

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:36

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:36
I know where Newmarket Rd joins Lutwyche Rd but that is about all.

I believe what you saw or you would't have posted. It was just such a mild morning and I got a great run all the way north. Not one lunatic on the road. Only sad point was north of Sarina, there was a fatal on the highway. Potholes south of Rocky had been playing Mummy's and Daddy's though, and multiplying like rabbits.
FollowupID: 872159

Sponsored Links