Many Peaks to Monto

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 19:37
ThreadID: 133040 Views:4294 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
In September we are planning a few days at 1770 or Agnes Waters and plan to travel from there to Cania Gorge.
Do we have any members who have traveled that route via Many Peaks Kalpower road to Monto?

Myles
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Genny - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 20:08
It's a nice drive, not a real lot of dirt left. Are you towing?

link to a pdf of the old Monto Shire Roads Monto Shire maps

Monal Goldfields is worth a look (good dirt road), and you can continue from there to Kroombit Tops (4wd only), if that was on your list of things to do. Usual way is via Clonmel road, which is better (4wd recommended).

Old Rawbelle is a scenic drive with one historic grave, and one newer one in the old cemetery.

Over a 1,000 k of roads in the old Monto Shire, and most loop around and join up somewhere.
AnswerID: 602590

Follow Up By: mynance - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 21:33
Yes will be towing a 2.5 tonne off road van, my family came from the Eidsvold side of Monto so I don't know much about the eastern side.

Myles
FollowupID: 872233

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 16:59

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 16:59
Has been about six years since I have driven that route, then towing a 17' van (Not offroad)with a pajero. It is a very pleasant drive & would be the best alternative IMO. Can imagine the road would only be better then when I went through, possibly needs grading.

Mike.
FollowupID: 872265

Reply By: Genny - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 23:41

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 23:41
Towing may be an issue.

From caravanners forum.

I haven't driven it for a couple of years, and never towed that way. Both the posters in the forum towed Monto east (pretty sure there is a sign just outside Monto suggesting no vans). The range may be a challenge in the westward direction, not withstanding the low rail bridge.
AnswerID: 602596

Follow Up By: Genny - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 19:55

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 19:55
The more I think about it, the more reluctant I would be to suggest trying to tow up that range. You may be better heading along the Bruce Highway to the south, and then following Kalpowar Road. Fair bit of dirt, and some decent hills, but nothing like the range near Many Peaks. I'll probably head to Monto in a few weeks, and may decide to take the slightly longer scenic route to refresh my memory. Timber trucks do use that road carrying pine logs to the Builyan sawmill and beyond, but no clue as to harvesting schedules.
FollowupID: 872324

Reply By: Genny - Saturday, Jul 23, 2016 at 21:37

Saturday, Jul 23, 2016 at 21:37
On a whim, I drove Rockhampton to Monto via Calliope and Many Peaks today. I have posted the dash cam footage of the Many Peaks range to Youtube. I believe the slope is generally around 10%, up to 15% for a short section. Visibility of oncoming traffic is not too good, and it would perhaps be an interesting day if a timber jinker, or a like-minded grey nomad was met coming the other way ....

The surface is bitumen in reasonable condition, so I guess it comes down to how much your tug can pull up a 15% slope, and what can be done to control the risk of oncoming traffic.

There is signage in place in both directions warning that road is not suitable for caravans (and trucks!).

In addition, coming from 1770, you would travel over Blackman's Gap road, I have no idea what that one is like, but I don't recall any warning signage applying to it.

DashCam Many Peaks range, 23/07/16
AnswerID: 602727

Follow Up By: Genny - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016 at 16:04

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016 at 16:04
Went there again yesterday. They must be harvesting pine in Kalpowar forestry, as we saw at least 6 timber trucks on the road. We had a cuppa at the base of the range and a loaded truck came down, and an empty up in the 20 minutes or so we were stopped.
FollowupID: 873373

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016 at 16:34

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016 at 16:34
Good video. It has been a long time since I have travelled that road and I like what I see on your video. The road has certainly been upgraded.

Myles, one thing is if you go that way the trucks will be calling any nasty places on the uhf. If you have a radio just put a call out there that you are on the road towing and 99% will let you know where they are and when and where for you to pull over. Take note of anything you see that can let them know where you are.

There is some lovely country up there.
FollowupID: 873374

Sponsored Links