Turbo sucking noise

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 08:51
ThreadID: 13310 Views:2271 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a GU 2.8TD Patrol and have noted a sucking sound as the turbo kicks in and continues whilst the trubo is spinning. (This is different to the whistling of the turbo) I took it to Nissan and they suggested it is just induction noise. The noise wasn't there when I brought it. I can find any noticable holes in hoses, the power hasn't changed any suggestions would be appreciated.
Darren
SA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:04

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:04
Hi Darren
I have A GQ 2.8
You haven't given much detail. Are you able to give any idea where there the suction noise is coming from. is it loow down in the motor compartment, up high etc???? Had you done any work of any kind in the engine bay? Lots of questions but a few details may help to get some responses that may help you.
Mine will make a bad noise if the air cleaner hasn't been seated quite right and the lid is not sealing properly. I have Safari snorkel and aircleaner box.

Bigbear
AnswerID: 61082

Follow Up By: okymura - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:25

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:25
Thank you Bigbear,

I had a 100,000 timing belt changed and a seal replaced due to an oil leak. The noise happens when the turbo kicks in under load. From inside the noise sounds as though it would be near the intercooler hoses so quite high in the engine bay. I can't hear it from the outside when reving the motor, but when driving It does sound as if the air cleaner was off in a carbie motor. I also have a safari snorkel. The noise definately wasn't there prior to the service but Nissan assure me they didn't touch anything to do with the turbo/intercooler.
I hope this helps

Regards

Darren
FollowupID: 322711

Reply By: Member - Fred - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:54
Mine has the same noise - you can play with the accelerator position and tune it in and out - does not occur under light load
Sounds like it shouldn't happen
Discussed with dealer about 5 years ago - did not have any suggestions
Couds it be restriction in intercooler due to oil buildup?
Would like a fix !!
AnswerID: 61185

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:09
Darren
As you have had work done on the car I reckon it must be something that happen during that work. You have probably already checked but have another look at all the hoses and clamps on the turbo and intercooler. Even though they say they didn't touch them they could have pushed against a pipe and made it leak etc.
Also check the large air inlet pipes and see that they are still firm and dodn't squeeze up when suction happens. this can happen sometimes if they have gotten oil on them.
Again check the aircleaner box for cracks or leaks. Just a few ideas that might or moght not help.
Regards
Bigbear
AnswerID: 61274

Sponsored Links