Which spares?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:22
ThreadID: 133110 Views:3756 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just wondering, what is worth carrying in the spares parts department, we are doing a Simpson trip in 5 weeks time.
Driving a prado 150 diesel manual, 2012 model, with 46000km on it. Don't really want to go out and spend hundreds on dollars on spares that will deteriorate in the shed over the next 10 years. Taking spare fuel filters, the usual, hundred mile tape, and stuff.. But would rather put off getting hoses n belts, till the vehicle has a few k's on it, and get all replaced, and keep the old ones as spares.. Any thoughts or ideas, positive or negative... Thanks All.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:28

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:28
Odog,
Why don't you do a 'search' on this subject.....and 5 weeks before the trip of a lifetime......sorry but what has happened to the 'Modteam'
Cheers have safe trip.....
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602911

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:47

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:47
Owen

On my two trips last year I took belts; fuel filters (3); oil filter; and carry in a comprehensive tool box many fuses, nuts, bolts, screws, cable ties. The only one used was a cable tie when I lost a bolt out of the caliper on one of my camper brakes.

When I had my engine rebuilt last month I told GSAS to use all of the belts and filters which they did.

You are only carrying filters I believe if you are anticipating bad fuel which will trap you out in the desert. Better to invest in a Fuel Manager water/fuel filter trap. Check it out with GSAS and carry just one filter for that. Have a talk to Simon.
AnswerID: 602913

Reply By: dad1340 - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:59

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 17:59
G'day Odog, mate 46K is a baby in terms of the need for bucket loads of parts or the possibility of breakage. After a thorough service (I do my own) you should be ok across the Simpson. I'd focus more on planning, fuel, water and tucker.

We took a hired Sat phone that makes sense for safety's sake.

Just keep away from wet discoloured lakes. Use the bypasses and plan your fuel usage accordingly

........ Unlike a certain Moderator of this site who sank his overweight L/C attempting to cross Lake Poepples when all the advice along the track was to use the bypass :)
"To err is human, forgiveness divine"

His name has been withheld for obvious reasons :)

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 602914

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 18:27

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 18:27
Odog

The Prado is not older enough for replacement hoses etc , take what you have mentioned and you will be fine.
I will be doing the crossing East to West in 5 weeks as well.
The last 3 times have been West to East .
Enjoy the trip

AnswerID: 602915

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 20:30

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 20:30
Hey Mark, we are planing on leaving Dalhousie Springs on the 8th September, heading east, white 150 prado, grey 80, and a new prado think it's grey.. If you see us sing out.. Say Gday.. You have a great trip too. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 872548

Reply By: Member - Odog - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 19:00

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 19:00
Thank you all so much, you have given me peace.. All this organising, has been consuming me for 6 months.. Now it's getting to crunch time, I'm stressing a bit. I was hoping not to carry to many spares, as knowing the car is still newish, and traveling with two other vehicles, I'm feeling better about just taking basics. Have a great weekend all. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602917

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 08:07

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 08:07
Odog

I will be In the Simpson around the same time , I will be driving a 75 Series Troopie , I will be solo as the Wife doesn't want to do the crossing for the 4th time . ( She going to Africa to see the Gorillas ) I know where I would rather be .
The trick with crossing the desert is to enjoy the trip and try not to worry about what might happen eg, breakdowns etc. Just have a well prepared vehicle a fair bit of common sense , plenty of supplies and all will be fine
FollowupID: 872564

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 21:41

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 21:41
One of the most unlucky travellers that we have met, was a Prado at Durba Springs on the CSR. He had a vast array of spares but unfortunately hadn't even considered that a bearing would collapse in the alternator, as most of us wouldn't!
It involved quite a big strip down to remove the alternator & a long, long drive out for his mate to get spare parts.
AnswerID: 602925

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 22:56

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 22:56
rubber boots for the front driveshafts, you may rip one ,hard to get in woop woop
AnswerID: 602928

Reply By: dad1340 - Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 23:17

Friday, Jul 29, 2016 at 23:17
Have a great trip Odog and don't stress out. The Frenchmans was like Pitt St Sydney (relatively) in early June so you will have plenty of vehicles coming through for some time. The UHF runs hot.

We spent 4 nights on the Rig (photography) and saw one small group on day #1 followed by 1 vehicle on Day #3. That's was it until we hit the French.
The southern Simpson is beautiful.

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 602929

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 05:08

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 05:08
No point in taking what you or your mates can't fit while out there and that applies to an increasing proportion of simple items on modern vehicles.
AnswerID: 602935

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 08:52

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 08:52
We took a belt Odog, just on the off chance we needed it. Bit hard to fabricate a new serpentine belt, whereas you can patch hoses with tape etc.

Also took a couple of shackle pins........the greaseable units have been known to break.

Wouldn't worry to much, just take your time. No need to charge any sandhills, we used first gear High range on any that had rough approaches. Magic place, we spent 12 days there and that wasn't enough.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602941

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 23:54

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 23:54
I've been out there over a dozen times over the past 30 years and my daughter also has a Prado 150. Quite frankly, there is very little you need - provided you don't overload, take good tyres with enough tread, and don't drive too fast. Spare fuel filters is probably all you need - but fuel quality is good at OOdnadatta and Birdsville - they turn over a lot more diesel than your local servo.
Belts, hoses etc on a 2012 vehicle are a waste of time. Most common problems are due to aftermarket accessories especially electrical accessories which may have been installed poorly.
AnswerID: 602976

Sponsored Links