Lost City near Cape Crawford N.T.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 22:55
ThreadID: 133122 Views:3326 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I heard there are a number of Lost Cities out that way in N.T. can any shed some light on them please I am heading towards Cape Crawford ! Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 23:37

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 23:37
The Cape Crawford one is seen via helicopter from Cape Crawford. My wife did the flight last year and enjoyed it - it just depends on how many lost cities you have seen in the past.
There is another lost city on the road west from Cape Crawford which is an enjoyable walk and visit. We liked both.
AnswerID: 602973

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 07:29

Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 07:29
See thread 132974
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602983

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 19:33

Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 19:33
There are 3 in the area.. The one at Cape Crawford is only by helicopter... The other ones are Southern and Western lost cities in the Limmen NP...The Southern lost city is 4km off the Nathan River road and the Western you will need to go to the ranger station at Nathan River and get the code for the lock...

I think the Western citys are the best and biggest to see.

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602996

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 07:24

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 07:24
We stayed at CC a couple of years ago and wow that helicopter ( and many others ) started work early in the morning. Didn't worry us as we like planes and choppers. Did the ride out to the lost city and it was great and the pilot was very knowledgable - we learnt a lot that we just would not have know about the area. Sometimes you pay a bit for these services but you don't know what your missing if you don't go! So now we have very fond memories of CC. The sort of memories that you don't have when holed up in yet another free camp rest area or burrow pit with 50 or so other vehicles .
AnswerID: 603051

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 11:08

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 11:08
Had a laugh about the borrow pit. Have stopped at CC quit a few times overnight and had a beer or three at the Heartbreak and have always been welcomed.

The western lost city is really worth visiting, except for the buffalo that thought he had right away on the track, well he was right, I gave him plenty of room to manoeuvre.
FollowupID: 872712

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:42

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:42
Just got back from visiting both the Southern and Western Lost Cities and felt that the Western one was well worth the extra effort to drive out to.

We stayed late to see the sunset colours about the place and it was fantastic.

The archway/ampitheatre at the end of the track was spectacular, although we were disappointed that someone had decided to selfishly camp there, which sort of spoils it for anyone else visiting.

If you are camping, then you can stay at the Southern Lost City which has basic facilities and several small camp sites. Get in there a little early or you'll risk missing out though. And probably best to find a bit of firewood before you get there too.

There is no camping at the Western Lost City.

Below are a couple of teasers from the WLC.

[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img][img]
[/img]
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603459

Sponsored Links