Please help me between AU and BA Falcon for reliable outback ute

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 21:59
ThreadID: 133127 Views:4750 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello.

First time posted and long time reader here so hello from Queensland! :)

Recently my uncle lost his long battle with cancer. He was a courier for my grandfather in western Queensland and the Northern Territory. My grandfather has asked if I could step up and take over my uncle's job, deferring my studies for a little while. I've said I'd be happy to.

My grandfather is basically going to let me pick an available vehicle from their station to use for delivering them medicine and groceries once a week, while also performing deliveries around the district for other nearby stations as my uncle did. I'll be compensated for my time (paid a weekly wage).

I'll have to do a lot of remote driving along the Donohue Hwy/Plenty Hwy between Alice Springs in the Northern Territory and Boulia in Western Queensland. The 'road' surface is everything between corrugations, deep sand and large gravel so high vehicle durability is very desirable.

Now I believe there's an earlier petrol AWD Territory available for me to drive but I think for delivery work I'll be better off picking one of the utes. I know from memory there's a couple of AU3 tray backs and a BA or BF RTV tray back available for me to drive - probably a BA.

Originally I thought the RTV would be the pick with it's increased ride height etc. until I read in my research that some circles consider the AU falcons to be the more reliable albeit ugly duckling option.

I know the utes all have the same service history and around the same kilometers on them. My uncle used to do the vehicle servicing and did his mechanic apprenticeship with Ford so I believe everything is maintained as per the books.

I think one of the AU3 utes has a couple of inches suspension lift installed. All utes run the same BFG AT tyres (so does the Territory). All vehicles have long range fuel tanks, bull bars, water tanks and 2 spare tyres.

Would anybody care to chime in on any durability/reliability considerations between the vehicles available to me?

Thank You for your time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:03

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:03
Mate, it's going to be a lottery whichever way you go.

None of the vehicles mentioned is bullet-proof (just like NO vehicle ever made), so if it was my decision I would be choosing the one that had best "features" to do the job.

Things such as the coldest air conditioning, most legroom, dual battery (for running a fridge) etc. I know that sounds stupid, but you're going to be spending many hours with the vehicle as your "office" so you have to be comfortable.

Cheers and good luck,

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603001

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:27

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:27
Pick a white one and if there are two white ones flip a coin, if there are more than two white ones use the short or long straw method to choose.

After that just drive it nice and easy.
AnswerID: 603005

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:48

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:48
Gday Jeremy
Choose the one with the most comfortable seat . The rest of the vehicle just moves along with the seat.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603007

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 08:09

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 08:09
I would be goin for the RTV the others would be at a dissadvantage with their ground clearance
The rest all a/c etc
Mechpete
AnswerID: 603008

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 09:55

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 09:55
Hi,

I drove a Ford ute for work, BA from memory.

When the RTV model came out I think Ford had fixed most of the diff and gearbox issues.
Beautiful vehicle to drive, great handling and brakes.
As a big bloke it was a pain to get in and out of all the time but once in it was great.

I would go for the RTV version.

William

Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603010

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 10:21

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 10:21
The AU's are the most reliable of all the Falcons. The AU Falcon wagons are widely recognised as being the best value, cheapest and most reliable transport, with massive load volume capacity, that you can get.
You can buy a 250,000km AU Falcon that hasn't been abused, and they're good for another 250,000kms without major expenditure. The motors go forever. If the engine keeps going, the vehicle is a runner.

Keep the coolant in good condition, keep the engine electronics clean and well protected from water, and salt-laden gravel dust, and they don't stop.

Stepdaughters boyfriend bought an AU wagon last year with 260,000kms on the clock, for $2500 - he uses it for everything from lugging his huge drum kit around, to bags of cement for house renovations, plus regular trailer use, and it doesn't stop.
His maintenance level for vehicles usually involves checking what broke when it stops, so it doesn't get an easy life, but I haven't seen it break down yet.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 603011

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 13:30

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 13:30
the BA is a great car or ute why

they spent a lot of money on the new barra engine and it has given some amazing fuel savings

The auto was also reworked

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_55183/title_BA-Falcon-Engine-Reveal/newsarticle.html

have a read of this report
AnswerID: 603017

Reply By: Rojac - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 22:20

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 22:20
Another one for the RTV, had one as a work ute, higher ground clearance, additional under body protection and locking rear diff ( button on dash)

Only down side is that its a ford ;)
AnswerID: 603024

Reply By: eaglefree - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 00:26

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 00:26
Rtv is the go

I had two AU11 cars both dedicated LPG.

My ute I drove 480,000 km with the head coming off once to fix a leaking front gasket.

The sedan was driven 380,000 with no major issues.

Both vehicles needed regular front disk machining but otherwise very good cars.

Tony
AnswerID: 603031

Sponsored Links