Nissan Patrol Gargo barrier and snorkle

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:10
ThreadID: 13315 Views:5731 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This apples to the GU patrol.

Does Milford make the Nissan supplied Cargo Barrier? Is it the same as the one they sell with their name on it?

Can it be fitted in multiple positions? eg behind front, middle or rear rows of seats?

Any comments on the Nissan snorkle? It looks OK to me so I can see no reason to retro fit a Safari item after I get the car. Was wondering about its sealing for duat and water where it integrates into the guard and air filter.

jamie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:37

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 10:37
Wouldnt both things be cheaper from ARB/TJM etc than from Nissan?

Snorkel is fine, theres 100's in our club, not one snorkel has an issue that Ive heard, and been on many trips up high country/toolangi thru deep water/mud etc.

Cargobarrier... you will always find one in tradingpost etc second hand so save ya $!
AnswerID: 60982

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:34

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:34
Hi JamieMac

I have the Nissan snorkel and reckon it looks far better than the Safari one IMHO. I paid $265 for it from the dealer (trade price apparently).

I fitted it myself (don't trust the dealers) and its a bugger to fit, as there is an extension tube under the front guard. The old metal one has to be removed and the new plastic one replaces it. I could only remove the top bolts with an air ratchet (no room to move). Have heard that some installers do not replace these bolts due to the difficulty!!! The snorkel has to be sealed (silicone) where the extension tube meets the air cleaner and also where the it meets the external snorkel.

I noticed a small hole in the actual aircleaner (~3mm) on the bottom. It appears to be a water drain, but does not have any flap to act as a one way valve. it wouls slowly admit water if it was submerged for a long time, but would take a while to let in any quantity of water. I contemplated sealing it, but then their is no way for any water to drain out (rain etc...) that enters via the snorkel.

The only thing is that I cannot fit is my old Donaldson pre-cleaner onto the snorkel, as the Nissan one is not vertical where the air ram connects (will need to get a special adaptor made up - have not seen one before).

I have the Milford cargo barrier and it can be fitted in multiple positions. I have removed my rear seats, but if they were in place, I cannot see how one could sit on the seat and put their legs anywhere!!! Also, the middle row seats can no longer recline to any degree with the cargo barrier installed.

I did not fit the extra mounting points to enable fitment behind the front seats as on my 80 series I never used it and figure the same again. The Milford kit was very good to install, just watch you do not drill too far when doing the roof mounting points (many reports of installers leaving bumps on the roof when the drill "grabs" and touches the roof).

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 60988

Reply By: TD6 - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:51

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:51
Jamie,

Yes Milford do make the Nissan barrier. You'll find that it's cheaper to buy both of these items from Nissan at time of purchase than it is through after market. Myself and a friend went through this exercise last year with my GU and his Troopy. We found everything ie bullbar, roofrack, barrier, snorkle etc were cheaper through the dealers.

Nissan will fit the Safari (that's what I had done) This gives you the advantage of being able to fit pre cleaners if required.

AnswerID: 60991

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:35

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:35
Jamie,

TD6 is correct, and I found at the time of vehicle purchase also the prices nissan quoted were cheaper (and that was a Safari snorkle)

Leroy
FollowupID: 322608

Reply By: Roly - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:15

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:15
safari is better made snorkle

bigger pipe internally, reversable head, thicker plastic
AnswerID: 61089

Reply By: lazylcd - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:23

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:23
if your considering buying a second hand barrier, i had a milford 1 fitted to my gq last year, about $120 for duel position kit, and bout $100 labour(TJM), it only cost me about $120 for the barrier itself, alot cheaper than a new 1 fitted and all, as long as its in good nick and the right price,

Lazy
AnswerID: 61117

Reply By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:36

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:36
Nissan parts Carbo barrier is a milford and about $100 cheaper than direct from milford.

Safari Snorkels are far better than Airtec/Nissan (nissan one is the an airtec)

Steve
AnswerID: 61157

Reply By: angler - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:55
Whatever you do do not get one from AUSGUARD. They are crap compared to Millford. I know as I had one fitted to my series 3 patrol. I had a millford in my disco and could change it from each position in about 5 minutes. I reckon the ausguard will take me about an hour. The anchor points are under the panic handles so you have to remove them first, then change the position. A real pain in the butt.
My snorkel and guard were fitted by opposite lock as a package and as opposite lock had no previous experience with millford they didn't know the stupidity of the ausguard installation system.
Too late now it's in and the damage has been done.
AnswerID: 64360

Sponsored Links