Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 06:20
ThreadID: 133161 Views:4885 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Waikerie is situated on the banks of the beautiful Murray River, a mere 175 kms from Adelaide. Enjoy the winter sunshine or summer tranquility by turning into Waikerie from the Sturt Highway between Blanchetown and Barmera or head towards Morgan and Cadell west of the town.
The name Waikerie is said to mean 'many wings', after the giant swift moth 'wei kari', the name given by the original indigenous community. It's an appropriate name, considering the teeming birds of the lagoons and wetlands that edge the river. Waikerie was established in 1894 when its first settlers arrived by paddle steamer.

A town that offers a wide choice of restaurants, accommodation, hospitality and shopping. Waikerie has developed from a lengthy affinity with 'Murray River matters' and the ensuing beauty. For more than a century, travellers have been welcome to use facilities that have now developed into a thriving country town on the Murray.
Broad acre farms, vineyards and citrus groves cover huge areas of agricultural development, sending thousands of tonnes of quality produce to Australian and overseas markets. Thousands of appreciative visitors annually enjoy a climate that challenges any other in Australia. Waikerie accurately boast more sunshine hours yearly than the famed Queensland Gold Coast!

The district is full of wildlife, natural history and ecological attractions that are very hard to surpass for beauty, selection and availability. Brilliant weather all year round ensures a most desirable climate for outdoor activities during short or long stays. Waikerie is a centre that caters to the interest of a wide variety of both visitors and residents alike.
Waikerie was first settled in 1894, and consists of well over 5,000 hectares of agricultural, horticultural and viticultural developments - plus excellent conservation, parklands and wetlands.
West of Waikerie toward Qualco and Cadell is the 1700 acre Irrigation scheme of Sunlands, opened for settlement in 1961, myself and my Father were the very first settlers in March 1961 .

The sprinkler heads were the Pope Typhoon , at Golden Heights the sprinkler heads were the Pope Monsoon, as seen in the photo watering trees at Golden Heights.

Waikerie Gliding Club began with a small group of gliding enthusiasts in 1937. Since those pioneering days, the Club has gone through many changes.

Waikerie is world renowned for the fantastic soaring conditions which prevail over a generally long, hot summer. The surrounding countryside offers excellent cross country soaring.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 13 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 11:28

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 11:28
A bit more on gliding at Waikerie, from a personal perspective....
Hans Werner Grosse was an ex-Luftwaffe pilot and was the first person in the world to fly a 1,000km FAI triangle in a glider. He brought that aircraft to Australia to successfully break many world gliding records and initially flew from Waikerie.
http://martinsimons.com.au/biography/hans-werner-grosse
When he replaced that aircraft with a new one, it was sold to another Waikerie pilot.
I subsequently purchased it with a friend and eventually flew my own 1,000km triangle.
I met Hans Werner on a number of occasions. A very humble man.
ps...while it was owned by Hans Werner, the ASW-17 always carried the competition letters of HW, but its actual registration number was VH-GWN.
It was built in Germany in 1973 and is still in service in Australia, 43 years later.

Over the Chase Range in the Flinders.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 603152

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 12:23

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 12:23
Fantastic photo of the Flinders, I have walked up to St Mary's Peak 1972. the German Flag is in the photo with flags,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872824

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 18:22

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 18:22
Slightly off topic, but travelling visitors to Waikerie who may need mechanical attention for their vehicle or boat are strongly recommended to go to Waikerie Honda, on the Stuart Highway for outstanding "above and beyond" country style service.
No connection, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 603159

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 20:30

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 20:30
Damn... is Waikerie on the Stuart Hwy, ...ummm lived there for 8 years and did not know that....T.I.C.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872832

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 21:14

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 21:14
Oops....that is the STURT Highway (of Captain Charles fame :))

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 872833

Sponsored Links