Flexi Tank Taste

Submitted: Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 11:45
ThreadID: 133171 Views:3977 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good method to remove the plastic taste from a Flexi Tank. We have a 55Lt tank that we have used a couple of times with a really noticeable plastic taste to the water.

We have flushed the tank a few times, used a drinking water hose to fill every time and kept it out of the sun. It says on the bladder not to use bi-carb but that is what I was considering as well as giving it a sterilisation with some Milton tablets (as it has been stored for the last 12mths).

Cheers,

Lester
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 12:12

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 12:12
Lester - Buy a bottle of the cheapest red cordial. Pour the whole bottle in, fill the tank with water and leave overnight. Empty and flush the next day, and the plastic taste should be gone.

Using a bottle of Lemon juice instead of red cordial will also do the trick, but red cordial is generally cheaper.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 603179

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 16:02

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 16:02
Hey Ron,

I'll bite:-)
Why wouldn't you use lemon cordial (not juice) instead of red cordial. Should be the same price?

Anyway, good tip mate. If it works it would be better than the chlorine taste sometimes resulting from Miltons, etc.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 872853

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:02

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:02
Sandman, the reason is - lemon cordial generally contains a lesser % of lemon juice, as compared to proper lemon juice. 50% lemon juice, according to Cottees website.

Funnily enough, they add citric acid to the cordials as an anti-oxidant - and the primary source of commercial citric acid is - yes, you guessed it! - lemons! LOL
The red cordial is called raspberry cordial - but of course, it contains not a skerrick of raspberry, or raspberry juice!

It actually contains citric acid, sodium benzoate (the sodium salt of benzoic acid), sodium metabisulphate, along with additional sodium sulphite as a preservative. Carmoisine, a common food colouring, is the cordial colouring ingredient.

It's the acids that do all the cleaning work - citric and sodium benzoate in particular, are very effective at cleaning up corrosion, and sodium metabisulphate is often added to cooling system cleaners!

Cottees cordials - click for ingredients

Vinegar, as recommended by tazbaz below, can also be very effective. Vinegar is around 6% acetic acid, and acetic acid is noted as an effective cleaner.

A lot depends on what chemical is causing the taste or odour problem. Esters that are still being released from the plastic are a common problem - but sometimes the plastics manufacturers add other chemicals to the plastics mix to try to mask the undesirable chemicals smell or taste.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 872858

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:18

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:18
Hmm,

Thanks for the information but my tongue in cheek query was a comparison of the usefulness of lemon cordial vs red cordial, not cordial vs fruit juice.

Never mind Ron, just my quirkiness at work.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 872859

Reply By: tazbaz - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 13:14

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 13:14
Lester
I've had the same issue with a new caravan. Tried it all - bicarb, red cordial, camec powder, all to no avail. What did the trick for me was good old cheap white vinegar and leave for a few days, then a couple flush outs. About a litre for your 55 litre tank.
AnswerID: 603181

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:11

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 17:11
Fit a 1um carbon/silver filter after the pump and before the tap.
It will take most undesirable things out.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 603192

Reply By: leroy_od - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 18:06

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 18:06
Lester,

would be worth checking your fill hose. We had a similar issue with a stainless steel tank, to the point that the water was undrinkable. Turned out that the fix was to replace the 'drinking water hose' purchased from a hardware store (solid light blue color on the outside, solid white color on the inside) with a length of Camec hose (white with two blue stripes down the side) from a caravan supply place in Alice Springs.

Fixed the problem instantly and have never had the same issue again. (We also replace to the short outlet hose from the tank with the same product).
AnswerID: 603196

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:32

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:32
Cheers Leroy. Yes the Camec hoses are great. That is what I use to fill up the camper trailer tanks with and what I used for this one.
FollowupID: 872866

Reply By: Member - Lester77 - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:36

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:36
Thank you all for your help.

I have the tank filled now as I head off towards the Cape in the morning. Next shop I get to I will give the red cordial a try first and if no luck will give the vinegar a run.

The water tasted quite OK after first filling today but I suspect after sitting in the tank for a day or two the water will taste like condoms again (Purely guessing of course)!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 603207

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:14

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:14
How do you know what condoms taste like???

Ha ha
Gave me a belly laugh!
AnswerID: 603210

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 15:11

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 15:11
Lester,

I tried all reasonable remedies listed here,
None worked for me, except the one where I trew out the bladder and got myself a rigid tank.
Seriously, could not drink the water, not even strong coffee masked that plastic/tank taste
CJ
AnswerID: 603231

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 07:04

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 07:04
Don't forget to prep the bladder for storage or else it'll grow mould.
AnswerID: 603253

Sponsored Links