Oziexplorer on andriod problem

Submitted: Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 20:29
ThreadID: 133177 Views:4455 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I bought a Samsung Galaxy tab A a few months back. I have the Oziexplorer app on it and store my maps on an sd card. Once the file path was set everything worked fine, for a while. After a month or so I found that I couldn't access the maps on the sd card anymore. I played around with it for a while and some how got every thing working again but a month or so later it stopped working again. When I go into setting on the tablet, It shows the sd card as a mounted storage device so it would seem that the tablet is happy with the sd card. I can also see the sd card and read its files when the Tablet is plugged into my laptop. So I'm thinking there is a problem with the App. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 1533rl - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:05

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:05
Hi Cruznozz, wording is everything ! On the samsung , in settings, it may be referring to an sd card as the actual internal storage and you may also see it as emulated or 0. For the sd card you are using for your maps it may be referred to as ext sd card (even though you insert it !) . It does sound a bit odd that it works and then fails.
You are probably familiar enough with ozi to have the map file path set to either the internal or "external" sd card whichever you choose, but the data file path may only be set as the internal card or storage. I do have the maps on the "external" card and am not having the same problem as you so I would suggest it is not the app at fault in this case.
Perhaps also try downloading the most recent version, there were some gliches in the previous one( which do appear to have been fixed) . Other than that, perhaps drop the people at oziexplorer a line, they are usually very good with customer service.
Cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 603200

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:31

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:31
From Ozi Website - may or may not be relevant to your situation or others (depends on Android version)

1. Upgrading to Android Version 6 Marshmallow

SD Card

When upgrading Android to Version 6 Marshmallow Android gives the external SD Card a different name.

This is an example of a new name /storage/0E4B-32DE

This means the "Map File Path" in OziExplorer will no longer be correct and will cause problems of course (usually the World map is loaded).

You must change the "Map File Path" option in OziExplorer General Settings.

NOTE: Many Android devices have 2 SD Cards, one is built into the device and the other is external.

Be careful that you choose the correct path.

IMPORTANT :

You must then re-index the maps - Menu / Operation / Map / Index Maps
The "Load Recent Map" for maps used previously will not work as they point to the old map file path.

ECW Maps

OziExplorer will no longer be able to load maps in ecw format. We do not know why at this stage but are working on finding the problem but it may take us a few weeks to sort it out.

A work around is to convert the ecw maps to ozf4 using out img2ozf conversion utility. Some ecw maps are too large to convert, for these use the free copy of out mapmerge utility and select a smaller area of the map for your immediate needs and write it out as an ozf4 map.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 603202

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:34

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 21:34
and also...

2. Using Large SD Cards > 32Gb

OziExplorer uses a lot of native code for increased speed, native code runs in the Linux Operating System.

On many Android devices Linux does not support large SD Cards >32Gb

For OziExplorer, use an SD Card of 32Gb or less or reformat your larger SD Card to FAT32.

Microsoft Windows will not format large SD Cards to FAT32 so you must use 3rd party software.

I have found this program works OK (no affiliation with the developer).

Link to page - http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Link to actual program -http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

NOTE : FAT32 limits file sizes to a maximum of 4Gb.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 872865

Reply By: Cruznoz - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:07

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:07
Thanks for your responses. The map path was the problem. I found my maps in /storage/6635-3964/oziexplorer maps. No mention of sd card required. I'm not sure what that map file path means but it works so I'll go with it. Thanks for your input.
AnswerID: 603204

Reply By: maurice b - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 01:12

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 01:12
Try unistalling Ozi and and installing a fresh download.This wont delete your map folder on extenal Sd .If persists i would try loading a few maps on to the Ozi map folder in flash memory change path to suit to eliminate a external path error or faulty card. What is your current Map file path ? Having an incorrect Data path with also cause your device to freeze as track files build and have no file direction to load to.
AnswerID: 603215

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 19:13

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 19:13
A lot of problems seem to be solved when you "index the maps" as per Greg's instructions above.
AnswerID: 603241

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 21:47

Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 21:47
There is also a setting that you can tick that will index the maps automatically upon opening
FollowupID: 873499

Sponsored Links