Securing cargo cases on roofrack?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 22:38
ThreadID: 133178 Views:8923 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi mates.

Hopefully some of you know what I'm referring to but if you don't I have acquired two rhino cargo cases as seen here;

I am wondering if anyone else uses these and stores them on the roofrack of their vehicle??
Whilst mine won't be overly heavy with stuff inside they are a bit too bulky for in the back of the patrol. I've put one up on the roof rack and it slides around very easily so I'll need a good securing method.

They are 600wide x 550 deep x 400 high. I haven't put both up together yet but I'm hoping they will be a tight fit side by side right at the back which would stop side to side movement.

If that fails one idea I had was to use a ratchet type strap on each handle down to the roofrack therefore eliminating it sliding around. I could also put those cheap foam mats underneath each box to stop it from wanting to slide.

I'd love it if someone had some pics with this gear on the roof. I know pelican also make a similar box and probably many other brands as well.

Thanks for any ideas/help folks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:27

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:27
If you are going to use any handle for tie down, you need to consider how strong the handle is.
Also consider that you need to provide back, forward, side to side and vertical restraint.
If you are applying vertical restraint only you will then be relying on friction to provide the back and forward restraint .......... some sort of load friction mat will be required.

what some people do with this sort of box is bolt them to the rack using using plates.

cheers
AnswerID: 603211

Reply By: ian - Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:42

Monday, Aug 08, 2016 at 23:42
Hi Ben
I have used these boxes in various ways, and my thoughts are:
- put one behind the other to lessen wind resistance
- load them forward of the rear axle as we all tend to put too much weight on the rear
- a high quality rachet on each handle will be fine. put another over the top if you want.
ian
AnswerID: 603212

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 06:47

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 06:47
If the trip is for longer than a week I'd be drilling the bases and bolting them to the rack.
AnswerID: 603217

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 07:34

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 07:34
I have a slightly larger one I lash to the back of the roof rack basket. It is the steel basket that helps secure any load.
Two non ratchet straps eliminate sideways movement by being attached through the handles to the sides of the basket and one ratchet strap across the front holds the case against the rear of the basket.
This configuration has proven to be secure on a trip to the Kimberley and back, including the Gibb and Cape Leveque Roads.
I also attach a bicycle lock cable for low level security.

I wouldn't even consider carrying the case without the basket.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603219

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 16:53

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 16:53
Hi Ben01,
I added handles bought from Bunnings to the long sides so I could tie four ways without restricting the ability to open with straps over the top.
By putting a backing plate inside I reduced the risk of pulling the bolts out through the plastic. Worked well over some rough country.
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603235

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 17:02

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 17:02
What is the roof rack made of?

If it is a mesh, then 2x turnbuckles per handle will do the job. Attach the eye end of the turnbuckle to the handles using a small shackle, then hook the hook end through the mesh. Run them all out at a slight angle and it won't go anywhere.
Done this way you can still access the contents without unstrapping them.

You will probably find the handles have reinforcing plates on the inside, so they can take quite a load without pulling through.
AnswerID: 603236

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 19:59

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2016 at 19:59
Hi Ben

I have a larger box across the front of my rhino rack. It is fairly low profile and sits no higher than a rhino gear bag.

I secured it with three high tensile bolts (on each side) with a piece of aluminium flatbar (to spread the load) as a washer. These attach through the floor slats of the roof rack.

It takes 10 mins to put on and take off when I need too. I only have it up there if I am doing an extended trip. I don't really know how much extra fuel I use with it up there because my Landcruiser is very fuel efficient - it uses every bit of fuel I put into it, doesn't waste any LOL. The good thing with the way I have set it up - you can get into it with out undoing straps.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 603244

Reply By: McLaren3030 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 16:06

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 16:06
Not securing (tieing down or bolting) anything to a vehicle, trailer or roof rack is not only dangerous, it is illegal. Bolting down as has been suggested by others using backing plates is, in my opinion, the way to go. Just make sure the catches on the boxes are strong enough not to open when on the move, particularly on corrugated or rough roads. Inadvertently hitting a decent bump at speed may cause them to fly open, with possibly significant consequences.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603389

Sponsored Links