Traveller app navigation

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:13
ThreadID: 133187 Views:2613 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone explain why I need to be connected to the Internet to use the navigation routing ie 'go to (a place)' to create a route?
There are plenty of offline navigation apps that do offline routing as does every gps product , so why can't EOTraveller ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:53

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:53
Sorry Wicket, you are wrong with this assumption. The app most definately allows offline navigation to a Place.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603262

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:30

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:30
Michelle
Not an assumption but a fact. ( and I hope we are not talking at cross purposes here ).
If I am not connected to the internet and i have the map open, select a place on the map then select "go to" all I get is a straight line to the "go to" point, no directions.

If I am connected to the internet and do exactly the same then I get the route showing on the roads and the directions .

So again , why do I need internet to do this ?
thanks
AnswerID: 603263

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:47

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:47
Hi,
This is my experience as well.
I thought I must have done something wrong and didn't persist as I have other navigation on my tablet.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 603264

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 13:20

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 13:20
Wicket,

We opted to use Internet routing as this is always updated and as Internet connections are generally available in all street level routing requirements seemed like a suitable approach. Straight line routing is all that is available offline which is basically the same as all other similar outback apps in this class that are on the market (and in this class we are not taking street level navigators). We have been looking into a routing platform however there are some major issues to deal with in terms of auto routing over roads of the class track (like being closed, bad weather predictions etc) and also having a concise and correct roads database that covers streets and outback roads in a single data-set that can support auto routing. I have a version of the EOTopo roads network supporting routing but for offline operation without road conditions and weather data this is not really suitable or ready.

There are some issues of duty of care also as auto routing someone over the Canning when they ask to go from Wiluna to Hall Creek could be dangerous if they are under prepared. Hence the offline routing shown via the treknotes is provided with pages of research and reading material to ensure a level of preparedness.

It is something being working on and will be implemented once we get the tech in place and understand the liabilities - but really without a level of road conditions data and weather interface to determine if you can safely travel it is a difficult prospect. No point routing you over closed roads or if the weather indicates massive rainfall events causing road closure or safety concerns etc!

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603266

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 15:22

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 15:22
Thanks for the comprehensive reply David.

So the online navigation actually uses a different (online) road database than that which we have downloaded with the app ?
FollowupID: 872909

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 17:07

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2016 at 17:07
Wicket,

The driving directions system is using the streets & paths database at present. This is a very comprehensive data source and will produce routing over a significant number of outback roads but as with most online resources it does not have the wealth of outback roads as the topo products do. I also found that the streets & paths database lines up well with the EOTopo roads network for major connections.

Our EOTopo routing project is being worked around adding together the topo roads network with the streets & paths data to produce a unified data source. We are also working to ensure our road conditions database is using the same roads data source so that when we have it all linked we will know about roads in real time. So we will be able to route correctly based on real-time data however this does not equate to offline as we would need to ensure the road conditions data is updated all the time in the app. Not impossible but something that needs careful planning and delivery.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872910

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:17

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:17
Thanks David, OK no more dumb questions from me (for the time being that is ;)
FollowupID: 872931

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 17:59

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 17:59
They are certainly not dumb questions at all and thanks for asking, allows me to write this stuff down sometimes and think about the issues involved.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872942

Sponsored Links