2 way or 3 way fridge for 8-10 week trip?

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:30
ThreadID: 13319 Views:2729 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys

about to embark on an 8-10 week trip to northern territory. i have a camper trailer and EL falcon so 2 wheel drive territory only unfortunately for the moment.

we have not made any itinerary so we don't know whether we will be in parks with powered sites or if there is plenty of opportunity for stopping at cool places in a 2 wheel drive for a few days.

the fridge will have to sit on the back seat. i am putting a battery on the trailer with DC wiring for a small fan, fluro etc inside.

i am prepared to put a 6mm cable into the cabin of the car for 12V and am happy to wire the trailer to recharge the battery on it and to put in a deep cycle battery in it.

i just don't know whether to get a 2 way or 3 way fridge? i don't want to spend more than about $900 if i can get away with it. i've got to lift the fridge in and out of the car each night.

i understand that this might be all hypothetical if we get powered sites all the way but i'm trying to guess future use and needs from a point of complete ignorance.

i've been reading and researching and asking questions and some say to go 2 way and others say to go 3 way.

any help from people who have previously been in this dilemma would be appreciated.

ps - we are soon about to move to north qld so will envisage doing plently of weekend trips and up to 2 weeks quite often up there as well over the next few years.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 12:06

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 12:06
Unit

I've owned both.

I think a critical factor is how long do you intend to stay put in one place. If you simply drive somewhere and stay for 3-4 days before moving on, I'd lean towards the 3-way.

If you will only do 1-2 nights per stop, I'd lean towards the 2-way.

I took a 3-way round Oz for 4 months and got sick of having to take it out of the back of the vehicle to run on Gas at night. It was a Chescold RC1180.

I've now got an EvaKool 12/24V with 240 V adaptor. I can run it safely in the back of the vehicle and leave it there whether running off the battery or 240V. My back thanks me for this and my setup/packup time is shorter. When I stay for more than 2 days, I run the thing off solar.

On another point, I was never impressed with the cooling abilities of 3-way fridges in the tropics. My chescold and my mate's finch could not keep up (even on gas or 240) on the cape. Was fastidious about keeping them level and well ventilated. My EvaKool is super.
AnswerID: 60992

Follow Up By: Unit - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 13:10

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 13:10
thanks rod.

we have an offer for somebody to loan us their 40ltr waeco fridge freezer. i guess if we watch where we camp and make sure we have access to power if longer than a day or so we should be right.

i haven't checked the evakool's so i'll look into them as well.
FollowupID: 322582

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:13

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:13
Unit,
I agree with Rod. The 3 ways have their good points. They are, however, VERY touchy as regards being absolutley level to operate, so if you're gunna stick it on back seat, you'd be well advised to make up some sort of timber shelf so that it stays flat while travelling. If you're gunna be in 240volt territory at night, no worries. If you're not, then gas is needed and you'll soon get sick of humping the fridge in/out every night/morning etc. They are notoriously inefficient on 12volts too. Good if you can get the temp real low overnight and then try to maintain as best you can during the day.....but this is no good if you've got lettuce or tomatoes etc which don't take kindly to being over-cooled/ frozen.
If you can get the waeco, I'd do it and run the 6mm cable to it.
I'd also streer clear of Deep Cycle batteries......much has been spoken about them in recent times. They are very good at what they were designed for, but they don't charge up well on an alternator and really need a proper 240volt charger, otherwise they progressivley lose their punch.
Good luck mate
FollowupID: 322603

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 16:20

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 16:20
Unit

Rod and Roachie got it in one. Give 'em both a lolly, and a pat on the head.
AnswerID: 61031

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:06

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:06
unit go the 2 way 2yrs ago with a 3 way at gemtree we couldnt keep the beer cold because of high temp day and night for 3 days
new van has waeco in it and also have a waeco for the back of the car never again a 3 way for me

steve
AnswerID: 61052

Follow Up By: Unit - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:31
thanks guys.

2 way it is. maybe now fridge and fridge specs can stop haunting my dreams now that i've put the decision to rest. :-)

unit.
FollowupID: 322703

Sponsored Links