UHF mounting position in a TLC 100 TD

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:36
ThreadID: 13320 Views:1708 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,
Would some person who has mounted a UHF in a 100 Series please tell where they actually put it .
Should I get the model with the front face that is mounted seperately , or should I get it all in one box ?
Thanks ,
Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:48

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 11:48
I have GME remote head type
one piece units are a bit big to fit
the remote head is on console just below ash tray. Have seen them with the head running across console or along console. Mine runs across console.
AnswerID: 60990

Reply By: In Good Time - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 12:48

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 12:48
Willie
Remote head is the way to go.
Use self adhesive velcro on the on the back of the remote head and mount where you please, on the console near the ash tray is a good place.
Then place velcro (hook side) on the back of the radio and stick it to the carpet under the drivers seat.
It is easy to remove from the vehicle and no holes are needed to be drilled.

Regards
AnswerID: 60998

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 13:17

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 13:17
Willie i have a tx3400 with the remote head mounted on dash. this is done with velcro and couple of slits through dash mat so its sits neatly and wiring is covered by dash mat as well. wiring comes down round curve of dash and under dash. if you look at centre console where it meets the dash the floor carpet is tucked up around here. there is enough room to gently pull the carpet back and the main unit slots in there nicely and carpet goes back in place-u wouldnt even know it is there. have an external speaker plugged in and speaker is connected to drivers seat on the lever which u pull to slide seat forward/back.
all wires tucked away neatly from sight
i wanted to be able to see display panel easily while driving without looking down to much. could possibly mount whole unit on dash but not sure if would stay there on bumpy rds etc-remote head is fine in that position
only downside is if u remove dash mat u will see velcro marks.but would just leave dashmat ther when u sell car
had similar setup in 80 series and dashmat was still in excellent condition after 6 yrs and just removed uhf before selling.
$50 for dashmat and $10 for speaker
AnswerID: 61002

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:33

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:33
Fozzy ,
What about if I velcroed it straight on to the dash matt , and put the big box thingie under the seat as "in good time " suggested ???
Willie
FollowupID: 322607

Follow Up By: fozzy - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:13

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:13
had mine under seat for while-thats fine to
as for velcro onto dash mat-might work ok-worth trying-can just run wires along dash mat and down but will see a bit of wiring .only thing is on rough rds it might come off or if you grab for mic and pull it to hard may release velcro..
worth giving it a go
also assume u have sunroof -which replaces all the sunglass holders and cd holder
FollowupID: 322698

Reply By: GaryW - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 14:29

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 14:29
The best I've seen (And its where mine is going to be installed this week) is a TX3400 remote head fitted in the glasses holder in the roof console (GXL fitout) You have to get exension cables made up to extend both mike & remote head cables. Glasses holder still closes - volla! can't see the radio. Its a very smick install if you can be bothered with the mucking around. The www.lcool.org site has some photos showing the install.

Gaz
AnswerID: 61011

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:37

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:37
Gary ,
I don't have a roof consol and a glasses thingie . In my old 80 series GXL I had a great map light roof console , but in this million dollar 100TD there is SFA . Maybe TD stands for TOTALLY DEVOID !
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 322611

Reply By: horrace - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 17:17

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 17:17
Willie, Try the link below. I found this on LCSCOOL forum and it is for the tx3400 with the head mounted in the glasses holder in the O?H consul and the unit in the gear stick consul(under the trim).
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/100scool/lst?.dir=/Radio+Pics&.s
Rob
AnswerID: 61044

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:09

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:09
G'day Will,

Have a 100 series Standard wagon cut down to dual cab, and ended buying a TX3400, because there was nowhere to mount a TX4200.

Used scews to mount the remote head under the ciggy lighter, and screwed(can hear the purists shaking with revulsion) the mainbody onto the side of the ash tray. Some risk of this being damged by legs, but sound quality is good enough that we don't need an extension spkr.

Considering some of the indignities that this vehicle may suffer over the next 3 years, a few screw holes will be the least of our worries.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 61086

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:51
Bob Y and all contributors - thanks for your ideas .

Bob Y ,
What is the advantage of cutting the wagon down to a duel cab ? I drove around in one in Arnhem land last year , where we were using the rear open section for outboards , fridges and tackle boxes . But anywhere else I would always be worried about someone stealing my gear.

The conversion I saw was done in W.A. and was really top quality . I also
heard there is a mob doing them in Qld .

Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 322725

Sponsored Links