Which way to carry a tinny on the roof?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 08:24
ThreadID: 133215 Views:10297 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
We are about to head of on the obligatory "Big Lap" and want to take our tinny with us. I have been considering the pros and cons of carying the tinny on the roof the conventional way (upside down) and the right way up (as it sits in the water). Has anyone done this (the right way up)?
Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

Thanks in advance Eggo65.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 09:36

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 09:36
If you have it the "rightway up" the wind will tend to lift it to your vehicles stabilty detriment. I have never ever seen one carried like that and probably for that reason

Have also seen it asked why carry a tinny for 50,000k to use it for just a few days. If going for an extended trip it may turn out that you will be well overweight if you take too much. We found we had to even leave the roofrack behind, never mind a tinny and outboard. Most 4x4 have a hard time staying legal when loaded plus a van.

Something to consider also.
AnswerID: 603374

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:55

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:55
Agree upside down is the go
You have made a very good point, you need to be sure that the boat is going to get plenty of regular use to justify taking it
The fuel savings of leaving it behind will easily pay for a few fishing charters or dry boat hires
FollowupID: 873005

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 18:53

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 18:53
As to whether to take a boat at all or not.......... I think it probably depends upon where you intend to go & how long you plan to stay there. There are limited opportunities to use a car topper up north. Big tides, big crocs & fast currents can be problematic in a small tinny. Most folk I know who have taken boats on a ‘lap’ have told me they wouldn’t bother a second time around.
That said, as a frustrated shore based fisherman I’ve looked at folks returning to camp sites from their boat with catches I can only dream about, however these are usually larger towed boats.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 873023

Follow Up By: Member - Eggo65 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:10

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:10
Thanks TomH, I have been seeing a lot more of them of late up the "right way" up. My rationale is that it would be more aerodynamic as the bow would cut the through the air as it does in the water, when upside down it would act as more of a parachute as it would tend to capture the air as it flows up and over the windscreen? Hence the question and thoughts of others. As for whether to carry or not as others have said that s a personal choice. We intend to be on the road indefinately and intend to get off the beaten track. We have taken the tinny on our annual trips on a number of occasions and yes it does present it's challenges but when you get to use it it is well worth the extra effort.

Cheers Eggo
FollowupID: 873024

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2016 at 13:06

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2016 at 13:06
If it was the right way up it would be interesting to see what damage the extra ton or more of weight may cause to your roof in a tropical downpour when the water can't drain away fast enough you would be helpless to attempt to remove it during the event. I've seen a 4WD running around Mackay with it the right way up but I expect he's just going to a local boat ramp.
FollowupID: 873058

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 22:07

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 22:07
"As to whether to take a boat at all or not.......... I think it probably depends upon where you intend to go & how long you plan to stay there. There are limited opportunities to use a car topper up north. Big tides, big crocs & fast currents can be problematic in a small tinny. Most folk I know who have taken boats on a ‘lap’ have told me they wouldn’t bother a second time around.
That said, as a frustrated shore based fisherman I’ve looked at folks returning to camp sites from their boat with catches I can only dream about, however these are usually larger towed boat"
Hey Cuppa
what did everyone use until a few years ago.......................?
A roof topper, a priceless piece of equipment up north. If a croc takes an interest in you move on
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 873131

Reply By: Bob R4 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 10:08

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 10:08
Unless the boat has a close fitting cover, the transom will catch so much air you'd thing you were dragging the anchor.
Upside down is the only way to go if you are car-topping it.
AnswerID: 603375

Follow Up By: Member - Eggo65 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:14

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:14
Hi Bob,
Not quite sure what you mean by the transom catching air?
We do have a custom made close fitting cover made for the tinny.
As i said in my previous response my theory is the tinny would be more aerodynamic up the right way ..... just my theory that is why I asked.
Cheers Eggo
FollowupID: 873025

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 09:28

Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 09:28
"Not quite sure what you mean by the transom catching air?"

He is talking about an uncovered boat. I have experienced the same thing with box trailers behind small cars. The tail gate creates an air dam and introduced drag. It's much easier to tow the same trailer with a load in it or cover the empty trailer with a tarp.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873040

Reply By: noggins - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 10:11

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 10:11
Possibly a better option would be a "Porta Bote"
Sits flat on the roof and less weight.

Ron
AnswerID: 603376

Follow Up By: Member - Eggo65 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:16

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:16
Thanks noggins,
I have seen the Porta Bote (not in the flesh) but I prefer to have something a little more robust when in lizad territory :).

Cheers Eggo
FollowupID: 873026

Reply By: Member - Dave63 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 13:30

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 13:30
Not sure how they have taken off but these load right way up. Australian made.

http://www.mozzi.com.au/

They talk about the aero effect on the site.

Not giving any opinion but they caught my interest when I first saw them.

Dave
AnswerID: 603385

Follow Up By: Member - Eggo65 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:21

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:21
Hi Dave,
Yes I have seen the mozzi that is where I got the idea from. I enquired about them but they are quite expensive for what they are really. I am looking at an idea that is a cross between the Mozzi and the Rhino side loader and using the vehicle winch.
As I said I am open to others ideas and opinions.

Cheers Eggo
FollowupID: 873027

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 08:55

Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 08:55
Have seen a fair few recently the 'right way' up , most of these are still actually on their light weight trailer with just the wheels and mud guards removed and carried inside the boat itself ….. then again as others have said ,you really need to use the damn thing to justify the extra weight / fuel and a 12ft boat with 16ft lizards ?
AnswerID: 603412

Reply By: friar - Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 11:00

Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 11:00
I have been to various fishing places on Cape York,12ft tinny high sides,always carried it upside down,the thing that you have to get right is how far the tinny sits out over the windscreen, get this right & the extra fuel consumption is not worth worrying about, my vehicle was Hilux extra cab 3ltr turbo.Friar.
AnswerID: 603414

Reply By: Tony G15 - Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:21

Monday, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:21
We carry a tinnie on the roof, upside down and use a Custom Auto Loader to get it on and off. Drop it straight into the water. Been away 5 weeks so far and the boat has been in the water for over 3.

Fuel difference is around 1 - 2 lt per 100k, so average is around 19 - 20 lt per 100k.

AnswerID: 603415

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 19:16

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 19:16
Eggo, my thought would be that a continuous streamline formed by the car windscreen and the bow of the up- turned boat would present less wind resistance than the air trap created by the windscreen and the bow with boat upright.
AnswerID: 603471

Reply By: Member - Eggo65 - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:14

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:14
Time for an update.
I have given this a lot of thought, made a couple of mockups and trials and have finally finished the first prototype. Took it for a test drive yesterday and I must say I am surprised.
No noticable difference to handling, performance or noise.
Some details ... Patrol has an upgraded OME suspension, Tinny plus all roof gear weighs approx 100Kg's, fully loaded we are sitting pretty well spot on GVM for the Patrol 3020Kg's. Test run yesterday performed at various speeds up to and including 105 Kph even went along the beachfront to see what effect a side wind had on stability. We will be towing a Hybrid off road van so we will not be breaking and land speed records (most likely we will be sitting on 90-95kph). Again we will be within both GVM and GCM specifications.
As you can see the tinny has a custom made waterproof tight fitting cover.

I do intend to have the rack fabricated by a local engineering firm to ensure the load is distributed across the roof evenly.

Thanks to everyone for there thoughts and comments.

See you on the road somwhere.

AnswerID: 603644

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:49

Saturday, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:49
Looks ok but what about in a torrential downpour is the cover flat or raised like you would have set up on a ute. I had a hilux styleside ute yrs ago and it was a hot day then a storm unloaded ended up with a foot of water trapped in the back of the ute with 2 bent support rods imagine that extra weight on your roof. Other than that good luck with it.
FollowupID: 873522

Sponsored Links