Booraloola to Burketown and Normanton Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 12:35
ThreadID: 133217 Views:2892 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, wondering if anyone has done this trip lately and what the road is like as I am heading back to work on the Dixie Road between Kowanyama and Musgrave. In Nhulunbuy today.
Cheers John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:16

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:16
Hi John,

Just got back to Cairns from over that way.

There are several patches between Borroloola and Normanton but otherwise conditions were fair to middling, with some really good bits. The road North of the Calvert River had some rough patches and largish rocks can be found on the road.

Are you coming across from Mataranka? If so, the area from Roper Bar to Cape Crawford was worse, but certainly not in the 'horrible' category. Quite a few bulldust holes. Several caravaners were telling us how terrible the road was through there, but as we weren't towing, it wasn't too bad.

When you head North from Normanton up to Kowanyama, the road was particularly bad. There was by-pass after by-pass and tracks all over the place as travelers had tried to avoid the mud and bog holes. It had almost dried out completely (and would have by now) and you will need to take this section easy unless the roadwork crews have mobilised.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603458

Sponsored Links