Burke & Wills Across Australia

Submitted: Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 20:52
ThreadID: 133250 Views:2592 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any road reports on the road from Phosphate Hill, north to Duchess please? Local reports vary.
Thanks
Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:20

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:20
There's a bitumen haul road runs from Osborne Mine to Phosphate Hill, then north to near the rail line, just east of Duchess. Is this the one you mean, Pedro?

There's also a gravel road turns off this haul road, just north of Pilgrim Ck, and goes to Duchess, via "Mayfield" Stn.

Not sure what the go is with travel on the haul road? As Osbourne is due to close soon, it might be open slather once it does close.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603570

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:33

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:33
Thanks for your reply.
The road I refer to runs on the western side of the railway line from its intersection with the Diamantina Development Road just north of Phosphate Hill to Duchess.
I'm working with Memory Maps which are probably out of date with current mining roads.
Thanks
Pedro
AnswerID: 603571

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 22:39

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 22:39
Pedro,

This a grab from Hema's GDT North-east map.

That road from Phosphate Hill, west to Diamantina Developmental Road is bitumen now too.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 873169

Reply By: lindsay - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:59

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:59
Don't take too much notice of the Hema map. I was up there about 2 weeks ago.
The road from the Diamantina development road to phosphate hill is gravel. The road from the mine on the west side of the rail line is sealed for a short way then dirt. However I am only told of this as I did not drive it and the Hema maps show it is sealed. Hema also shows the road from the mine across to Chatsworth Station as sealed and it is not and only a dirt track. There are signs on the haul road that goes to the Osborne mine shown it is closed to the public.
There has been a lot of rain up there and when we there, there were quite a few of the roads to the east and north on the mine were wet and impassable.
Lindsay.
AnswerID: 603614

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 16:56

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 16:56
Thanks Lindsay,
I agree with your comments. We went in as far as The Monument on dirt. A passing truck driver advised that we could not get out to the north from Phosphate due to wet weather road damage.
Pedro
AnswerID: 603668

Sponsored Links