Tips for Camping with Dogs

Submitted: Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:30
ThreadID: 133252 Views:3071 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I have a pet dog named Shooter, I love my dog and i used to take with me while travelling with my Caravan. When I am at camping, it is difficult for me to take care of him. I have learned some tips on dog care at: Tips for Camping with Dogs and Simple Pet Care Tips for a Pet Friendly Caravan Holiday.
I want to know if I am miss something or any one can tell me the tips other than in the links.
Thank You.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 22:23

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 22:23
Quiet simple really, keep them on a lead.

If you are in a caravan park, the last thing others want is your dog pi$$ing on their gear. If in the bush, the last thing you want is the dog picking up a 1080 bate.

It is your pet so keep it under your control at all times.

We travel with three dogs and this is how we do it.
AnswerID: 603573

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:37

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:37
If only it was that simple ???

Some people can understand that concept......but others don't get it ??

If a dog is on a lead, then the owners can enjoy THEIR dog. If it's not on a lead then others are forced to enjoy ( or not ) YOUR dog.
FollowupID: 873183

Reply By: eaglefree - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 23:30

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 23:30
Some time ago we bought a lead from Aldo.
5m long, retractable, has place for poo bags, fold up water bowl and torch.
One of those really handy items.
AnswerID: 603576

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:18

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:18
Most people say keep it on a lead, which sounds like good advice on the face of it.

However that’s not particularly good from the dogs point of view, especially if you’re travelling for a long period, most likely will have a misbehaving dog after awhile.

What I’ve doing with my dog for some years now is taking a roll of green plastic mesh (20mtr x 900mm ??) ex Bunnings, and a bundle of 1.2mtr garden stakes. If staying a place more than just overnight I stretch out a pen, starting against one end of the caravan then extending out in random fashion ending up against the other end of the caravan, with a draft strip sealing off the caravan its self.

Can’t leave the dog in there unattended or she would just jump out. But while I’m there she can wander around the pen at will, way better than being stuck on a lead. Another benefit is that the pen acts as a demarcation line for kids and some “other” campers.

Clive.
AnswerID: 603601

Follow Up By: RobandFlip - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 20:37

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 20:37
Absolutely agree with you Clive. When we travel with our two medium sized pups, we also erect a mesh fence around the van and awning area and includes the onside to give them access to under the van. It takes two of us 10 minutes. The pups have ample space in which to mark their territory, they are better behaved because they are not subjected to a restricting lead, cannot escape and know this is their home for xyz days. Walks on leads are still part of their daily routine and yes, doggy poo bags go with them.
FollowupID: 873205

Reply By: Blown4by - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 22:34

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 22:34
Make sure the dog is micro-chipped and take some metho which when poured on a tissue assists with tick removal. You smother the tick with the tissue and they back out pretty quick:-)
AnswerID: 603629

Sponsored Links