Hilux v6 buick

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 02:22
ThreadID: 133261 Views:4044 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Using the 2.8l standard 5 speed box cruise at 110kms and shes doing 3000rpm and chews the fuel what diff gears are people using pretty sure mines running 4.3 ratio? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:04

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:04
I have no idea what diff ratios your vehicle is running but I have two comments for you:

1) To ascertain the ratio, all you need to do is jack the back wheels off the ground, make a mark on the tail shaft with something (a scratch or a paint mark etc). Then have somebody turn the wheels while you watch the mark to see how many times the tail shaft rotates during the wheel spinning one turn. If you're right and it has 4.3 ratio diff gears, then the tail shaft should turn 4.3 times in the time that the tyre/wheel spins once.

2) Changing diff ratios is fraught with hidden issues.....mainly regarding the vehicle's ability to take off from a standing start and maintain a speed on any sort of hill. Basically, what I'm saying is that I reckon you'll be bitterly disappointed with the result if you change the diff ratios WITHOUT changing the motor. If you junk-out the 2.8 and whack in a more torque'y motor, then you may have good reason to swap-out the diffs too.

Roachie

PS: Just re-read your thread and see that you have some sort of V6 which I gather is not the 2.8L that you also speak of. If you have changed the motor, then it's game on!!! Perhaps a bit more info in your original question would have been handy.....
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603643

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:33

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 08:33
If you have an open diff and leave one wheel on the ground and turn the other then the tailshaft will turn at twice the rate. That needs to be taken I nto account.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 873215

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 10:32

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 10:32
The issue you have there is that the small diesel motors like foiund in toyotas are most efficient fair;y high in the rev range and that works out to be around the 3000rpm this works out to where the power and torque curves cross ( to technically the right term but it will have to do) after this point both the power and torque curved drop away on diesel motors, due to limitations inn the diesel process.

Petrol engines are different a well designed petrol motor will continue to produce more power till distruction.
They will also be more efficient at much lower revs.

Most motors petrol and diesel will be most efficient just before the torque peaks ....... but petrol motors MAY produce best economy below that depending on the whole vehicle design.

two things I would look at ....
see of you can get power and torque curves for that motor ..... that will inform your decision.
second ... see what ratios are in use in the donor vehicle or another vehicle as close to what the hilux is. ... don't forget toe factor in wheel size

remember in most pasenger cars wind resistance and aerodynamics is a major factor at highway speeds and a hilux/runner is far less slippry that a comadore ..... so you optimim will be lower geared in the hilux than in the comadore.

might be worth checking the gear ratios in a factory V6 hilux or runner.

no easy answers, but hope it helps

cheers
AnswerID: 603653

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 16:16

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 16:16
Don't Know about the diff ratios BUT my young fellas 04 4cyl factory turbo diesel h/lux - 5 speed box is at 2800rpm at 110 kmh ….. bog stock standard bar b/bar and steel tray , young fella is 2nd owner from new , 148,000 klm.
AnswerID: 603664

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 08:28

Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 08:28
http://www.marks4wd.com/drive-line/diff-gears/toyota.html

Looks like leaf front ends (2.8d) got 4.88 or 4.56?

If the IFS carriers fit you'll have options from the pre 2005 v6.

I'd ring mark's and have a chat about your options, they know their stuff.
AnswerID: 603692

Reply By: swampy - Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 13:45

Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 13:45
hi
Try running it at 2500rpm probably would not go slower [ya need the hp and torque] and check the consumption .
Try and find diff centres that give u that engine rpm .
Speedo might need changing
Which buick , imported carby or oz commodore
If its a carby ,which carby a holley ??

swamp
PS [The later chevs v6 are a better unit which is why they waited to produce theres well after Buick ,just a little history ][ I had a chev v6 in a Torana a long time ago ]
AnswerID: 603702

Sponsored Links