oil blwing out airlocker line

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:18
ThreadID: 13330 Views:1179 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'm getting small amount of oil blowing out the line when opertating the diff air locker switch. The dealer has refitted new seals but the problem continues.THey are going to try cleaning out the lines and if that dosenot work, then they fit a one way dump valvue down near the diff.
So it's fixed... because you don't see oil building up over engine bay compartments,as it is being dumped to ground.
Any experiences from others or suggestions.
Regards
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boeing - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:43

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:43
Hi Joe, Had the same problem with the oil coming out of the valve near the compressor as a fine mist. ARB fitted a dump valve but I was under the impression that this valve returned the oil to the diff not to the ground..

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 61023

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 16:06

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 16:06
Joe,
I too had a simular problem. ARB has a valve that fitted to the diff where the air line that goes in. It allows the air to be dumped into the diff, after the diff lock had been turned off, but the diff breather must be clean and working. With out this valve the air will push oil out of the air line when the diff lock is turned off. The air that turned the diff lock on must go somewhere when it is turned off, and that is back down the air line taking some oil with it.
I would also check the diff breather, if it is blocked it will alow oil to be pushed back down the air line.

Wayne
AnswerID: 61029

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, May 31, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 17:22
Wayne,
That's just answered the same question I've had too, but I thought it was just normal because I don't use my locker as much as I would like to be.
Do you know what the go is with the valve that ARB supply? I would think it's something I should be able to install myself. But I spose they want some $$$ for it?
Cheers,
FollowupID: 322635

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:13

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:13
Roachie,
I went to a ARB stockest who was into the finer art of getting the most out of his vehicles and told him of the problem I had and he supplied and fitted the valve. It fixed the problem and I was happy.
He had to remove the fitting that was there and re-tap the hole to a bigger size and then screw in a bigger fitting, but I don'y see why you could not do it yourself.

Wayne
FollowupID: 322643

Reply By: Joe - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:05

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 18:05
Thanks all,
I have just picked it up and they are sure it was residue oil in the line since the refit of the new seals in the diff.

He did go onto explain that the next step would be the dump valve if necessary.

As I understood from him that it went to ground, I asked how much oil volume are we talking about, and he replied about a teaspoon full.

So at this stage I'm not sure if I heard him right (I do have a hearing aid). Your comments that it goes back to the diff is a far more desirable outcome if it is that both options are available.

Thanks for input.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 61051

Reply By: gonebush - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 00:37

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 00:37
I also had the same problem.

ARB fitted the one way dump valve back to the diff FOC and all has been fine since.

Larry
AnswerID: 61116

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)