Android Upgrade from 5.x.x to 6.x.x - Beware

Submitted: Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 17:29
ThreadID: 133334 Views:3907 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I allowed my Samsung tablet to do this last night from 5.0.2 to 6.0.1 and subsequently encountered some problems in apps that many other EO folk may use.

1 EO Traveller
After the upgrade EO Traveller v1.10.0 (latest) would not start. It loaded the dune graphic then stalled on a blank white screen. I had to uninstall and re-install and that meant downloading all the data again. A quick driving test indicates it is working properly now, but the process is less than convenient.

2 Ozi Explorer
The Android upgrade changes the naming convention for storage, so your data and map filepaths may not/will not work.
Ozi for Android FAQ and General Information provides some help.

After changing the filepaths it seemed to work, but when I stepped down through my maps at the current location, at the fourth step Ozi crashed. It was repeatable. Turned out the fourth step was asking for an ECW map to be loaded. The Android update has stopped ECW files from working in Ozi, for reasons being investigated - see the link above.

I elected to delete the folder containing the ECW maps (they were the Aus 250k series) pending resolution of the problem. The alternative is to use Ozi's Image To Oz converter tool to convert all the 250k ECW files to .ozf4 but there were too many and I have other 250k options, so I'll wait for a resolution of the ECW issue.

Just a heads-up. If you use these two apps then don't do the upgrade if you haven't got time to fix the issues before departing on your next trip. For me it was a time-consuming right-royal PITA.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:14

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:14
Frank I uploaded my Android from 5.x to 6.x a fews days ago, and I had already updated to v1.10.0 of ExplorOz Traveller and that didn't happen to me, I therefore don't think this is a universal issue.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603944

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:29

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:29
Thanks Michelle,

I've responded in my follow-up to David below.

Main thing is the app is working perfectly now.

Cheers Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873589

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:17

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:17
Frank,
Michelle did the upgrade without issues - there should be no reasons that the upgrade would corrupt the installation! From your description I would assume the settings storage was destroyed. There should be no reason for this to occur as we run a separate storage instance to overcome any possible problem like this.

Was the app running in the background when you did the upgrade?

Interested if anyone elsenotices this because it should not happen, but happy to get feedback?

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603945

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:16

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:16
David,
I do not know if the app was running in the background. It may have been, but equally, it may have not. I had been playing around considerably before allowing the upgrade and I did not notice the device's configuration.

Given Michelle's experience with this it's good to know that my experience is not the default.

Cheers Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873585

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:21

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:21
David

I beleive the same thing happened to me - upon opening Traveller it went to a white page with a blue band at to (no icons showing either)
I had some excellent help from Adele via Live Chat and resolved it.
In my case what I found was: I had set the app to open on the map page and somehow during the update the map page was reset from "use offline map" to "use online map"
I don't usually have my Samsung online so the app was trying to open an online map but the Samsung wasn't online - an unresolvable loop.
Luckily I spoke to Adele before I deleted anything (especially as I had just spent 4 hours in Moccas downloading the map sets)
To resolve it we went to the ExploreOz site and opened one of the treks off the site which " tricked" Traveller into opening on a map page - I was then able to reset the app to use the offline maps rather than the online maps and all was resolved - big thanks to Adele and the ability to "live chat"
FollowupID: 873587

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:47

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:47
KiwiAngler,

Well bugger me that is a good solution - Adele did not even tell me about that work around to a problem. Like it - of course opening the treks or places from the Open In Traveller button on the site will cause the system to override the configured start screen and open the selected item.

Maybe this should become an FAQ - I will look at this in a little more detail. I am still confused about why the system would revert to online opening and it should if offline go to the offline maps. Hum interesting - will have to look into this some more.

Thanks
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873592

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:34

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 19:34
Frank, just sorted this issue for a mates Samsung S2 tablet 3 days ago (running Android 6).
His kept crashing too when running .ecw maps on Oziexplorer for android.
Solution was to convert all the .ecw maps to .ozf4 using the conversion tool. It all worked fine for us. Took many hours (overnight) to convert the big Raster Mosaic maps, but was worth it as it all works fine now.
AnswerID: 603946

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:23

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:23
Hi phil,
I started doing that but gave up because the file sizes were about 4 times the ECW file sizes and also because the Imagd to Ozf tool started to misbehave. I'll wait for Des's ECW fix, I think.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873588

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:44

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:44
Yeah, the files sizes increase heaps - the 250k mosaic is now 6Gig in OZF4 instead of 750Mb as an .ecw. But it works!
FollowupID: 873590

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:46

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 20:46
Hi

You can adjust the settings in Img2Ozf to create smaller file sizes (on left of screen - "Initial Resize" and "Number Colors").

Smaller number = smaller file size. Can offer no other advice as have never bothered to use the function (the joys of huge SD cards or access to PC to swap files).

Obviously if you reduce either you risk loosing image quality though for 250K scale map may not so much of a problem.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 873591

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 21:19

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 21:19
Hi All
All this frightens the hell out of me.
Every time I'm on the verge of buying a mapping system I come across a thread
Like this one.
I am lost by all this talk and the skills required to manage the programs
I think I will have to wait until these things are as simple as turning on a car radio.
Although I probably won't live that long.
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603950

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 19:42

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 19:42
Ross,

ExplorOz Traveller is your answer. Download the app and run it. This upgrade issue for Android was not a very common problem and has a simple work around.

ECW map conversions for Ozi is complex agreed - done all that before and part of the ExplorOz Traveller functionality was to eliminate all the hard stuff and just boot it and run it.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873661

Sponsored Links